1. Hello Guest!

Please take a moment to review our updated forum rules before continuing to use this site. If you have any issues or feedback, please private message mattrick or Soup so we can discuss.

Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Comments on Profile Post by InDstructable

1. psandoval19
    psandoval19
    A tangent line is the slope of a line at any given point. So if you wanna find the slope of a curve at any given point, you take find the tangent line. At (4, 6) on the curve, you'd draw a straight line (the line does not intersect the curve) and find its slope. It's been 2 years since I took calculus, but I think you use the point-slope formula
    Jun 29, 2018
    InDstructable likes this.
  2. psandoval19
    psandoval19
    'cause the slope of the tangent line is the slope of the curve at that point. https://imgur.com/a/xDtcEk6

basically, the tangent line found at a certain point is parallel to that point. again, i forget how to exactly to find a tangent line, but im preeetttyyyy sure it has to deal w point slope formula. could be wrong tho
    Jun 29, 2018
  3. psandoval19
    psandoval19
    because its a curve, you can take the tangent line infinitesimally, one at each and every motherfucking point on the curve. it's pretty cool :3
    Jun 29, 2018
  4. TeamPurple
    TeamPurple
    The tangent is the instantaneous rate of change so you gotta derive the formula then sub in when x=1 and you should get 4. But if you don’t have the formula you do what psan said
    Jun 29, 2018
    InDstructable and psandoval19 like this.
  5. psandoval19
    psandoval19
    DUDE MAJOR BRAIN BLAST WHEN U SAID IROC
    Jun 30, 2018
  6. InDstructable
    InDstructable
    what if the coordinates given were not on the line?
    Jun 30, 2018
  7. psandoval19
    psandoval19
    typically you can find it, or your line has cycles, like a trig curve such as cosine and sine. i totally forgot tho sooooo im sorry
    Jun 30, 2018