1. Hello Guest!

Please take a moment to review our updated forum rules before continuing to use this site. If you have any issues or feedback, please private message mattrick or Soup so we can discuss.

Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Comments on Profile Post by ImWithSmart

1. ImWithSmart
    ImWithSmart
    ask your opinions. By better, I mean which is more beneficial in today's world.
    Dec 4, 2018
  2. MineButcher
    MineButcher
    People who only speak one language are at the mercy of tour guides and tourist traps when traveling to a foreign country for business/pleasure. Having a second language can help keep your conversations private in a public place. I could go on but I have homework :/
    Dec 4, 2018
  3. Masteraj12
    Masteraj12
    Better as in applicability? One thing I've learned is once you learn one language, it is a lot easier to learn other languages. An example is branching out from English to other languages. We don't have things to distinguish between masculine and feminine for verbs and whatnot
    Dec 4, 2018
  4. Masteraj12
    Masteraj12
    but once you start using other languages, you see patterns about how words change to distinguish M/F, plural/singular, etc. I think bilingualism is good, but monolingualism isn't too hard to pick up after making that first step, and you might as well go for the third, fourth, maybe even fifth or higher.
    Dec 4, 2018
  5. CommanderBox
    CommanderBox
    Not sure if this counts, since it's mostly academic; but my opinion is that once someone is past a young age and nearing mature youth (15-onward) language should no longer be required to teach thus being solely up to choice by the student.
    Dec 4, 2018
  6. CommanderBox
    CommanderBox
    Reason being: Once you've aged past a certain point (The scientific term is critical period of language) actually developing new language skills is exceptionally hard due to the brain already being near or fully developed.

You could add all that as a side point in your essay if you feel inclined to do so - remember to cite an actual source and not CommanderBox lol
    Dec 4, 2018
  7. CommanderBox
    CommanderBox
    As far as actual usage is concerned, I find it too difficult and am personally unmotivated to pursue such a skill as learning another language. It sounds more useful than it is, and in reality, won't do much good for one such as me living in America, unless I literally go and look for people who speak my new-found language. (Tldr: Learning new languages is cool and CAN be helpful, but I do not want to)
    Dec 4, 2018
  8. CREEPER__1
    CREEPER__1
    I remember writing an argumentative essay on this in class as an FRQ in my AP Language and Composition class last year. I argued for bilingualism being more beneficial, instead of everyone conforming to learn one universal language.
    Dec 4, 2018
  9. CREEPER__1
    CREEPER__1
    My argument was that various languages hold great historical cultural background behind them, and by learning a new language you are able to communicate with an entirely different generation that comes from a different background than your own. Also, people would lose a sense of identity and uniqueness if only one language was spoken worldwide.
    Dec 4, 2018
  10. CREEPER__1
    CREEPER__1
    My counterargument was that while monolingualism was more convienient, it's just a lazy excuse for people to not want to put in the time and effort to learn a new language and the background behind it. The barrier between different languages could be easily bridged if children were taught multiple languages at a young age in school.
    Dec 4, 2018
  11. ellilliv
    ellilliv
    Very passionate topic for me. I think learning new languages is very important, at least the most global ones like english and spanish because, well, they're global and will help you when you travel and visit new cultures.
    Dec 4, 2018
  12. ellilliv
    ellilliv
    I also think it's very important, like Creeper said, to pass on languages due to cultural identity and that sort because language plays a HUGE role in it. In Norway, we learn english from a very young age do to it's importance in the world and how easy it is to learn new languages when you're young.
    Dec 4, 2018
  13. ellilliv
    ellilliv
    However, I think it's important to not stop there. Many countries does not teach their children english from a young age, and many countries just speak it poorly. Therefore it's better to widen your languages, so that you can contribute to more communication around the world, because that's SO important.
    Dec 4, 2018
  14. ellilliv
    ellilliv
    I do believe french is a language that is important to learn, because many of them does not speak english or are not taught it. Spanish as well, especially thinking of South-America. German is an important language in Europe too. I think it's very important to expand knowledge on languages and how they really work as there's much more behind it than you'd think.
    Dec 4, 2018
  15. ellilliv
    ellilliv
    I think it's a way to show respect for other cultures, and important for identity because language IS identity. If I was to be robbed for norwegian, I'd be devastated.
    Also, once you learn one language, like I've done with english. learning new ones is a lot easier! I think in this day and age, it's a privilige to learn new languages and we shouldn't let that opportunity of connecting the world together pass us by!
    Dec 4, 2018
  16. ItzCqnadian
    ItzCqnadian
    I was simply gona say bilingualism, and then I look and see multiple people have basically written their own essay on this
    Dec 5, 2018