1. Hello Guest!

Please take a moment to review our updated forum rules before continuing to use this site. If you have any issues or feedback, please private message mattrick or Soup so we can discuss.

Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Advertisement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wombo, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Wombo

Wombo Well-Known Member Builder

Having too much swaq
    I know that this has been said numerous times, but the community just wants some answers; (when) will there be advertisement for the server?
    This is a big problem for the server at the moment and it has for quite some time now. It's basically one big vicious circle of misery. First, the server doesn't get advertised. This causes less new players to join the server. When there are more veteran players and less new players, the game becomes a lot harder. This causes new players to leave even quicker. Then, when there are almost no new players, the older players also start to play less because of the playercount, and we end up with a situation like this.
    I am, just like a lot of other players in this community, really concerned about the server and its destination. And I just want some more intel other than just 'we are planning to advertise the server with the new MCI update', because that has already been said over a million times.
    I have always had faith in Project Mayhem, but the server's current situation is really concerning. Thank you for reading this.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Nick, ellilliv, XrayGodzilla and 7 others like this.
  2. Hoozier

Hoozier Well-Known Member

Never

(Correction to... It ain't happening for them mods who wanna delete my comment)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    CREEPER__1, Bacon and superliasse like this.
  3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I’m trying
    I swear it's been a year and a half since the whole advertising talk started, what's going on

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  4. XrayGodzilla

XrayGodzilla Well-Known Member

Welcome to buisiness talk

This is like

“Dont call us we call you” situation

5. Rexense

Rexense Active Member

Producing fire!
    The server will die after the anni and thanks giving events!

6. Hoozier

The term "going to" is applying that we have anybody to lose...

It's not anybody's fault, Bens paying out of pocket (He never did this for a profit anyways) and is trying his best. Advertisement does not guarantee substantial growth that would earn him the money he spent so it's a loop. I'll be here till the end tho

Rockin likes this.
  7. Rexense

Rexense Active Member

Producing fire!
    I could advertise with the amount of money Ben makes. It is not a matter of money rather they just keep putting it off.

8. Hoozier

As an ex-staff member and as a person who helped Ben get the advertising going for more than a year, I can tell you that you are very wrong. In fact almost every meeting they have (weekly) is dedicated to advertising. He has been doing this for many years now.

9. lobster

lobster Well-Known Member Builder

League Of Legends
    P M A

Negative Nancy

10. maxben34

maxben34 Owner Owner Developer

Advertising is a difficult subject. It's one that I wish were easier when it comes to minecraft servers (particularly minigame servers) but unfortunately, it's one of the things that has held back and hurt Project Mayhem the most. At the end of the day, it comes down to a few issues. I'll try to lay them out.

1. There aren't many different types of advertisements that a person can get for a server (there's only YouTube and server list advertisements) that are even somewhat effective.
    2. The problem with YouTube advertising in this day and age is that most YouTubers own their own servers and won't benefit from doing deals unless the rate is extremely high (which for minigame servers that don't break the EULA to a crazy extent unlike many other servers out there, means that we wouldn't get much benefit from this option because of how expensive it is)
    3. Server lists have shown to be ineffective for minigame servers

Because of this, our main option has been to reach out to YouTubers in an attempt to get a partnership with them. The issue is that most YouTubers are either uninterested (they prefer not to do those sorts of things) or they already own their own server and don't want to do a partnership for that reason.

We are hopeful that we can get advertising in the future. We're actively looking for new opportunities for growth and we appreciate your concern in regards to this extremely important issue.

I want to be clear that the past few months, I've made no money from the server. It struggles to pay for itself at this point and I've paid out of pocket to keep it running.

HaleStorm, lobster, Luke and 8 others like this.
  11. CRACKYAK

CRACKYAK New Member

What ever happened to JeromeASF on the server. I remember the day after the video their were so many leathers. It was infected heaven. Things like that need to happen again. That would be great

Rexense likes this.
  12. Rexense

Rexense Active Member

Producing fire!
    Yup

13. Hoozier

What happened?

He left, we couldn't afford his price. There's a certain point where you can earn profit from what you spent and the moment Ben stopped earning profit, then it no longer was a beneficial source for players. This is a business, what do you do if you stop earning money? You shut down.

They need to happen if we are to regain our player base again, correct. Do you want to pay the amount he charges?

lobster likes this.
  14. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Well-Known Member

This thread is a grand example of think before you speak!
    First of all, you don’t even know how much money he makes. I guess you can make a estimate, but for the most part you don’t know. Next, Ben and Jack have put a lot of time out of their lifetime into this server and I know that if they had the opportunity to advertise they would. Just at the current state, advertising is not a option but not out of the picture.
    YouTubers are a great source of advertising but are very hard to get dedicated ones to your server. It would be perfect if we can get a swarm of Agent40’s, but sadley that won’t happen. The server will grow, we just have to do what we can to help it!!!

15. CRACKYAK

CRACKYAK New Member

I knew that youtubers wanted money to advertise the servers but I didn't know it wanted a lot. thanks for the information.

Hoozier likes this.
  16. Dat_Skeleton

Dat_Skeleton Well-Known Member

Your information is not as private as you think ;)
    Home Page:
    Just curious, what exactly is the budget for these youtubers? Isnt it like 3,000$ per video?

17. CRACKYAK

CRACKYAK New Member

I don't know about 3000. I cant be that much. Maxben says he pays for the server out of pocket sometimes so I mean unless maxben makes a lot of money from other jobs even tho project mayhem owner is the best job ever I don't why you would want another job. I don't think he has enough money to pay for the 5 videos that I believe Jerome made. Thats 12000-15000 dollars (an estimate because I don't know how many videos he made maybe 3 or 4 videos). Now I know talking about money is a touchy topic especially the owner so please don't try and say that I think maxben is poor and doesn't have money its just the average person doesn't really have 15000 dollars to spend on a Minecraft server (Even tho Its the best minecraft minigame server ever made). Or maybe the average person does and i'm completely wrong and its the total opposite. None of the information I have said may be true so please don't take my post to seriously. Thanks and have a good thursday/friday.

Dat_Skeleton likes this.