1. Hello Guest!

Please take a moment to review our updated forum rules before continuing to use this site. If you have any issues or feedback, please private message mattrick or Soup so we can discuss.

Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

AP Testing Help/Tips

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by Masteraj12, May 3, 2018.

1. Masteraj12

Masteraj12 (☞゚ヮ゚)☞Sr. Moderatoror☜(゚ヮ゚☜) Sr. Mod

Hello!

So I made a profile post about this but I feel an open thread can get some more attention and can let more people see it. AP Tests are coming around for us Muricans and I thought this could help give some advice to test takers and be a little source for people to ask questions about their course. That being said, if you do have a question, please say the courses name so we know what you're talking about.

Some general tips for all exams are to get a good sleeping schedule 3 nights in advance. Say you have a test this upcoming Monday (which would be chemistry and psych I believe), you should start sleeping early and waking up early on Friday night and do the same for the whole weekend. I also recommend you get used to eating breakfast in case you don't already because the exams last quite some time and you only get a 10 minute snack break once in the exam.

Another good tip, though extreme, is to take adderall if you have difficulty staying focused. I personally don't think I'll be doing this, but it's helpful if you apply to this.

Dress in layers in case you are testing somewhere you don't know is well kept in Air conditioning. Yeah, the weather is getting nice, but if you have an air vent overtop of your head blowing cold air on you, it would suck to have that be the reason you do poorly on your exam.

Try to avoid studying the night before. Similar to SAT testing, doing practices or reviewing material the day before you take an exam will make you just hate reading it more. At the end of the day, this test is an arduous and grueling exam that takes a long amount of our time and culminates the whole year's worth of learning. You don't want to go into the exam hating the material more than you may already because that'll just cloud your thinking.

Bring some spare batteries for your calculator exams. Imagine if your battery EXPLODES RANDOMLY IN YOUR CALCULATOR OH MY yeah no thats not happening but make sure you replace your shit before you take the exam, they're somewhat doable without it but taking say the Calc exam without it would drop you at least 2 levels.

Keep spare sharpened pencils and stuff with you, it's a waste of time to ask your proctors to sharpen your pencils if they are even able to (which I highly doubt).

If you have any questions regarding Chemistry AP, Physics 1 AP, or Calculus AB AP, I'm taking those three and I'm confident I will get at least a 4 in all of them, so tag me in the comment. Feel free to ask about other exams, too, and maybe someone could answer in my place. Hope this proves to be helpful, good luck to all!

2. MutatedGrape

MutatedGrape Well-Known Member

Finding humor
    I think it really depends where you live in this situation, they're kind of hard on the point about the exams if you go to tutorials.

I'm trying to say that if they offer good options, prepare the best way.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  3. TeamPurple

TeamPurple The Purpatraitor (Mod)

You can find me MCI_and_Chilling
    Pro Tip: in the case your school happens to be hella strict do not touch the paper until they say so or u will fail.

lordslaughter20 likes this.
  4. Hoozier

Hoozier Well-Known Member

My biggest tip would simply to keep a positive mindset... at the end of the day, it is only a test.

5. psandoval19

psandoval19 Well-Known Member

art prostitute
    Some other helpful things to do in preparation for any exam, study for a bit during the day, but never after 4pm. Have a healthy dinner, one that'll provide actual sustenance rather than make you feel lazy/sluggish and slip into a food coma. Same goes for breakfast, make sure you get all members of the food group, but focusing on protein to get that brain juice flowing. After dinner, take a walk around the neighborhood to make sure your body is healthy, as well as ease your mind and get away from the desk and study material.

Make sure you have all your materials ready, and bring a jacket, just in case it's cold like AJ mentioned. but one thing that I think is really important, have a good attitude going into the exam. Have faith in yourself, know that you can do it. Advanced Placement is full of smart kids, you are capable of doing this. Don't focus on the gravity of the exam, it will not improve your performance, but going in with nothing but "good vibes" and you'll be fine. Look at the context, and think of what you know. Don't read the question, just figure out what you know. Same thing goes for that 10 minute break. Bring water and fruit or something, and instead of finding friends to discuss what you did/didn't know, think about what WASN'T being tested during the multiple choice. If it wasn't on the multiple choice, you can bet it'll be on the FRQs. Start brainstorming what you know about the stuff that wasn't tested on the MC, that way you won't have to "reboot" when you go on the FRQs.

y'all can do this! I believe in you! don't worry! be happy!

6. CREEPER__1

CREEPER__1 Well-Known Member

Meme Expert and Hentai Enthusiast
    On my gaming chair making PM-MC hentai and memes
    Also if you know the proctors don't check your calculators for programs and you are taking a test that requires any big equations like in AP Physics C Mechanics, create a program on your graphing calculator with all of the equations and what they are used for. That's what my Physics teacher advised us since they don't check our calculators. However, don't rely on this since the test is timed and you are going to run out of time if you need to check what equation is used for what problem every time. Instead memorize what equations go with what problems, and what scenarios that equation is used for. I know they usually give you an equation sheet when you go into the exam, but you either have to derive the equation into something much bigger to use it, or they don't put in certain equations you will need. This can be very useful on FRQs since most of the time getting the right answer isn't the most important. Most of the graders have a checklist to designate points for putting in certain equations in your work. If you forget how to work out an entire problem just put stuff down you do remember to get partial points, because on some exams you only need to get 50% or more of the questions right to pass, and those partial points will help out a lot. If you don't know how to make a program on your graphing calculator to store equations there are many tutorials online, and you can download programs straight from your computer on to your calculator. I'm not sure if other schools check your calculator though, so be careful.

Masteraj12 likes this.
  7. Who am I

Who am I Member

Pro tip #32
    Do not fail your ap test

8. Masteraj12

Masteraj12 (☞゚ヮ゚)☞Sr. Moderatoror☜(゚ヮ゚☜) Sr. Mod

How could I forgot to mention, P M A

baseballaholic22 likes this.
  9. Hoozier

Hoozier Well-Known Member

Day 1 AP testing is in the books!

I wish everyone the best, truly.

Masteraj12 likes this.
  10. Jordan

Jordan Well-Known Member

Full-time recycling bin
    Step 1. Lie in bed
    Step 2. Curl into a ball and cry
    Step 3. Keep crying
    Step 4. Miss your exam and stay in the warm comforts of your bed knowing that it'll be your only loving embrace because you were going to fail anyway
    Step 5. Cry a bit more

Gokuvsluigi and CREEPER__1 like this.
  11. Turtleguy2018

Turtleguy2018 Well-Known Member

Gas Station Owner
    The calc exam is gonna beat into the dirt. Still got about a week to study though lol

12. ItzCqnadian

ItzCqnadian Active Member Builder

After actually reading this thread through, it makes me realize how much harder Americans seem to have. Still wish I could take AP classes though lol