1. Hello Guest!

Please take a moment to review our updated forum rules before continuing to use this site. If you have any issues or feedback, please private message mattrick or Soup so we can discuss.

Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

EULA being enforced?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nexgenhatred, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nexgenhatred

nexgenhatred Guest

lobster and ByteZz like this.
  2. Pokemaniac

Pokemaniac Well-Known Member Wiki Team Builder

Builder / Wiki Staff
    Home Page:
    This does not belong in general as it is not pertaining to Project Mayhem. I also feel like you are going out of your way to complain about everything this server does. This doesn't affect Ben and the devs because the server is not p2w and if they possibly get an email, it will definitely get changed.
    Edit: as a forum user on Spigot said, they are mainly doing this with big servers, and last time I checked, 18000 > 200.

Turtleguy2018 likes this.
  3. nexgenhatred

nexgenhatred Guest

please do not attack me I'm just trying to make an announcement thread

4. AmortusR

AmortusR Well-Known Member Wiki Team Builder

I did a little digging into this, yeah, Mojang has officially started to crack down on servers who violate their EULA. It's not just a hoax to get people riled up about.

5. maxben34

maxben34 Owner Owner Developer

I'm not sure your intention for making this post, but I want to be clear that the server has the entire EULA situation under control and that we're in an entirely different boat from a lot of servers who really are breaking the EULA to a ridiculously large extent.

If your intention was to just let people know, I guess I understand that, though it's nothing to be super worried or concerned about either :).

Hawk698, O_OPanDyy and pistolsteven like this.
  6. nexgenhatred

nexgenhatred Guest

i didn't even write this post i copy/pasted it from another forum because i thought it was important to know..

lobster likes this.
  7. Frogged

Frogged Well-Known Member

Confused aren't you? How people take things the wrong way? Yeah me too. We have something in common.

ByteZz likes this.
  8. TeamPurple

TeamPurple The Purpatraitor (Mod)

You can find me MCI_and_Chilling
    Ahh well this server is fine if anything only thing needed to be changed is 3 kits in MCI and the skills in fearsg purchaseabld

9. XrayGodzilla

XrayGodzilla Well-Known Member

Do you really wanted 25 titans running in a game because like 23 people unlocked the kit hell no also do you want 10 shocks in a game along with like 20 phantoms well ofc not

10. MutatedGrape

MutatedGrape Well-Known Member

Finding humor
    They started a few days ago, it was about time too.

That's why we have this thing called "balance."

O wait...

Tactical_Rnbm and XrayGodzilla like this.
  11. AmortusR

AmortusR Well-Known Member Wiki Team Builder

I'm just worried about the 3 main infected classes and the few holiday classes only unlock-able by donating.. As well as the skills in fearsg that can only be unlocked by donating. While we're considerably better than those big servers, I don't want us to get dinged for those infractions of the EULA (however low the chance may be).

12. maxben34

maxben34 Owner Owner Developer

There's nothing to worry about. You need to trust Jackson and I when we say that this isn't our first rodeo and that people have so much faith in us I've had several other large servers already ask me to overhaul their own server's stores and perks so they are EULA compliant.

13. BritishBear

BritishBear Well-Known Member

Store Operative at Homebase
    What about faction crates? Selling purely items is something even I know is not allowed, and that's pretty much what a crate is. You pay for a crate and you are given a random amount of a single item from a list.

nexgenhatred likes this.
  14. nexgenhatred

nexgenhatred Guest

Yeah, and this time I don't want to see broad reassurance from Ben with claims that have no cited evidence. (I'm not calling you out on lying, I just think asking for proof is justified). What's wrong with saying what you're going to change, instead of just saying "trust us, trust us". I think your community deserves to know what you plan to change.

chessgeek10 likes this.
  15. chessgeek10

chessgeek10 Well-Known Member

Cow
    It's about time!

I've been a supporter of EULA enforcement since I've gotten banned twice on other pay-to-win servers simply for asking about it (which is a huge pain to explain in any applications I make now). Up until now, the EULA has done completely the opposite that it was created to do. The pay to win servers benefit from choosing not to abide by it, since they have an advantage over the good servers who choose to remain relatively compliant at the cost of an economic decline. Finally, they've come to their senses and started taking action.

While Project Mayhem is better than most servers when it comes to following the Licence Terms, it isn't immune. There are still plenty of purchasable features in the shop that violate them. Things like the restricted kits and almost all of TIMF doesn't follow the set commercial rules, and even /sneak can be debated as a violation. Project Mayhem isn't "in an entirely different boat", it's just on the smaller end of the boat. We don't outrageously violate the EULA, but we do in a minor way, which means we are still susceptible to punishment like the rest of them. Microsoft can still go after us if the server gets reported. I've reported the two pay-to-win servers I mentioned earlier a while ago using the official format, and believe it or not one of them has started to make changes because they received a warning letter. Eventually, some disgruntled player here will report Project Mayhem; it's only a matter of time.

I don't know what Ben's plan is, but I don't think waiting it out is a good idea. You may be thinking you can fight for the right to do this using legal measures, like I've seen other servers plan to do, or changing the perks only if you get a message of warning, but frankly, neither of those options seem any good. People shouldn't need to be warned before they follow the rules, they should do it automatically. With what I've seen from the St. Patrick's Day kit all the way to TIMF, it seems to me that the server has gone morally downhill. I don't necessarily think the server is "greedy" or anything, but the lengths they go to raise money for the server has become more and more extreme. It seems pointless to wait to be reprimanded before changing to conform to the EULA, if it'll happen eventually.

Ben, you said another server contacted you to help them reform their donation page, so why not do it for Project Mayhem as well? It honestly wouldn't take that many changes to conform to the rules, and I don't think donations would deplete too much anyway, if the cards are played right. Simply put, it's the right thing to do.

16. MutatedGrape

MutatedGrape Well-Known Member

Finding humor
    I laughed so hard when I read this.

17. nexgenhatred

nexgenhatred Guest

Do you want to say why; or do you want to just come across as condescending and non-constructive?

Wack_Attack and chessgeek10 like this.
  18. chessgeek10

chessgeek10 Well-Known Member

Cow
    Is this subject amusing to you? It's starting to seem like you're continuously mocking my every post. Maybe you should take a look at the forum rules once more...
    If you have something to say, please say it to me with maturity, seriousness, and topicality.

MutatedGrape likes this.
  19. nexgenhatred

nexgenhatred Guest

That's not a valid argument; it doesn't matter when he brought it up, it matters that he did.
    You're forgetting the decently sized amount of people that almost have a vendetta with Project Mayhem. I wouldn't be surprised if it had already been reported, unfortunately. You can message me if you want further evidence of this; but I won't go any more in-depth publicly.

In the end, there is no real answer to the question and there really shouldn't be. Whether or not Ben is trying to make money (which, by the way, is none of our business) doesn't really contribute anything to the whole EULA argument as a whole. I wouldn't say Pay to Win isn't moral; but I do see where chessgeek is trying to pursue with his argument.

EDIT: Not sure why, but it cut out part of my post. This is what it omitted:
    He never said that he assumed that was his plan; he just said that waiting it out wasn't the best idea. Nowhere did he say what he thought Ben's plan was.

20. mattrick

mattrick memetrick Administrator Developer

Web Developer & Sometimes Java Developer
    Home Page:
    My take (aka does not represent the opinion of Project Mayhem as a whole, blah blah..):

Good luck on actually dealing with servers that refuse to comply, Mojang. Lawsuits won't be profitable, so I'm assuming the worst they will do is issue a DMCA request (even that's a long shot, I'm not too sure if Minecraft servers count as intellectual property [especially since Spigot servers are derivative work]). I'm guessing they might actually ban you from Minecraft (I do think that this is enforceable in this manner, but I really don't see Mojang doing this unless they were truly desperate). Enforcing this equally across all servers is going to take forever for Moajng and it simply isn't feasible. Mojang will target the larger servers and hope to scare the smaller servers in to complying.

As for my view of the EULA itself, its going to kill servers. You may say that servers such as Hypixel and Mineplex are doing fine following the EULA, but this model only really works for larger servers with a player base. Many people don't understand the amount of money needed to invest into a starting and maintaining a small server. While I disagree with pay to win servers, players always have the option not to play. Also, many people speculate that Mojang created the EULA because they were getting too many complaints about kids stealing their parents' credit cards, but if the EULA was meant to prevent this, it still doesn't stop servers from selling ranks and other stuff, essentially leaving the same problem as before (unless of course the EULA was meant to stop server monetization completely by discouraging players from donating). I'm sorry, but I think in this instance, these regulations bully the little servers while still allowing the larger servers to make money.

I actually don't think I would mind a EULA that prevents some pay to win things, but its too strict in my opinion. Obviously Mojang isn't going to budge, but that's just the way I see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.