1. Hello Guest!

Please take a moment to review our updated forum rules before continuing to use this site. If you have any issues or feedback, please private message mattrick or Soup so we can discuss.

Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Homework Help

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by Masteraj12, May 6, 2017.

1. Masteraj12

Masteraj12 (☞゚ヮ゚)☞Sr. Moderatoror☜(゚ヮ゚☜) Sr. Mod

So let's start by giving you the answer. x, in this problem, equals 0

.5^x =1 is a basic log property we can derive. If you have anything to the power of whatever, it produces a number. However, 0 is a special case. Anything to the power of 0 is going to always equal 1. 2^0=1, x^0=1, etc. Knowing this, we know where we want to go to, now we just need to get there.

In log problems, we generally take the log of both sides to isolate the x. If we take the log of both sides of .5^x=1, then we end up with x*log.5 = log1. Whenever you take a log of both sides you can bring down the exponent and multiply it by the log. Example, if we take the log of 2^x = 4, we do logs on both sides and bring down the exponents, getting x*log2 = log4. We can then solve for that with our calculator to get that x = 2 (and then again, we can just visually see that if we raise 2 to the power of 2, it equals 4).

I mentioned earlier that 0 is special, and so is 1. Basically, when we are taking the log of a number, say 4, if we do not specify a base of the log (so we say Log Base 3, or Log Base 4), then we assume the log is ALWAYS based 10. So say we take log4. What we are essentially trying to find is what exponent makes the base of the log that number inside. In this example, we are trying to find what exponent makes 10 turn into 4. You can plug that into your calculator and find out it works, but thats the core concept. Now in our problem, we have x*log.5 = log1. Trying to do this w/o a calculator is easy, because what we can do is look at the right side which is log1. What we want here is to find out what exponent makes 10 go to 1. WAIT! That's 0, as anything to the power of 0 is 1. So now we can make it become x*log.5 = 0. We then move to isolate x by dividing log.5 over, and we find that x=0. And it makes sense, raising .5^0 will make it equal 1. Now you don't have to do these steps every time, but this is just building from what logs do to proving the general rule.

hmu on teamspeak if you need some more help

2. MineButcher

MineButcher Well-Known Member

Increasing Forum activites
    Home Page:
    isn't anything to the power of 0, 1?

you are making me wish i never read this, my head hurts a little bit

3. Masteraj12

I was just giving a reasoning for when you solve it you can just skip the math and say it's 0. Legit second sentence I saw that rule...

MineButcher likes this.
  4. Masteraj12

Heyo bumping this thread because March-May are the heaviest months for school, don't want anyone overstressing.

5. Draconium

Draconium Well-Known Member

Professional minecwaft pwayer
    Can someone explain the Factor Theorum? I tried searching it up and I’m still a bit confused by it. O and it’s Alg. 2

6. Masteraj12

@Draconium So basically if you have a function, you can find out some of it's roots by dividing out a certain answer.
    We have the function x^2 - 2x + 1 right. Now we can simply take the two roots by factoring out, x-1 times x-1 right. Using the factor theorem, you can do x^2 -2x +1 divided by x-1 to find out if thats a root. If when you divide, the remainder is 0, then that function you divide is a root.

EXAMPLE: Use the Factor Theorem to find out if x-1 is a root of 2x^4 - 3x^3+1.
    Try doing this on your own by using either long division or using synthetic division and check the spoiler for the answer/steps.
    So I'm going to use synthetic division because it makes it EASY AS HELL
    If you don't know synthetic division, just divide (2x^4 - 3x^3 +1) by x-1.
    upload_2018-3-2_13-29-57.png
    Looking at this, we find out that x-1 IS a root because it divides cleanly and we have a remainder of 0.

7. Masteraj12

Hello! 6 months later and this thread is now relevant again! I was talking with Creeper and Hypris before about college apps and offered us sharing with each other to edit, and then I remembered this thread exists. Deciding to bump this so everyone can use it. If you need help, always feel free to post here or message me on Discord (masteraj12#4868) and I'm always ready for assist the best I can. Good luck in this school year guys (a bit late but oh well).

ImWithSmart, CREEPER__1 and Hypris like this.
  8. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Ruffino Ristorante Italiano.
    Sooo, this might not be like 1+1 help but, I got a message from my old school that I can take two extra exams to pass last year. I didn't pass in two shit since personal reasons and I have no idea how to actually uh sit down for hours and just read and write? I always leave exams early and I can't practice home since everything is more fun. Anyone got ideas on how I can work that out? I really need this if I want to use my last year next year and then go to college.

9. Masteraj12

Pacing yourself is what I try to do. Like i’ll work hard and then take a break to watch some youtube or hop on discord, but I generally finish my work first so that I can enjoy the rest of my day. At the end of the day I want to graduate so I can make money, but I also want to enjoy my time being young, so if I get my shit done and work hard I can do both. Its hard to start thinking that way about things but it really helps if you change your perspective on what youre doing. Hope this helps.

psandoval19 likes this.
  10. TeamPurple

TeamPurple The Purpatraitor (Mod)

You can find me MCI_and_Chilling
    I need to do my uni application lucky for me though it’s just fill out a form and then my grades do the talking

11. OrangeAlex77

OrangeAlex77 Active Member

memer
    Well if anyone else here is taking Fundamentals of Nursing or Pathophysiology and Pathopharm, I wouldn't mind having a study session