1. Hello Guest!

Please take a moment to review our updated forum rules before continuing to use this site. If you have any issues or feedback, please private message mattrick or Soup so we can discuss.

Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of leaving threads... Lets chat

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by Rod337, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soup

Soup Well-Known Member Wiki Team

Being Tasty.
    I probably shouldn't be saying this but this is my opinion and I hope that you people can respect it. If not, you're proving my points entirely.

First of All Rod, I am deeply sorry about not using your template. Anyway, in my opinion, the main problem with our community is the people. Don't get me wrong, some of you people are the nicest people I've ever met. (You know exactly who you are.) But there are some people and they are, for a lack of a better term, "toxic". I really don't know the true meaning of this term but here's how I interpret it. I see it as people are poisoning the community. Acting like they can push everyone around, including and especially the moderators. The reason I compare this to poison is because their negative effect just gets worse and worse as more people see what they do and decide that they can also do that. @Callofjosh I get what you mean with people on teamspeak and I agree with it. People complain about moderators being in their room away from the community too often, but they never see our side of the story. I prefer a staff room because It's a place I feel safe. I know that 90% of the time, if i'm in the Staff Channel, I won't be harassed, mocked or flat out disrespected. There are certain people on the teamspeak (you also know EXACTLY who you are) that I've grown to hate. Yes I said it. These aren't people who now and then annoy. These are people who time and time again go out of their way to anger me, for lack of a better work, "trigger" me. People in this community treat the staff members so horribly. They treat us like a joke and frankly, It's probably the most demeaning thing that I've gone through my entire life, and I was verbally and physically bullied for 4 years of my life, just to put that into comparison. I'm not letting everyone on teamspeak take all the blame, a ton of the people, once again you know who you are because I tell you time and time again, are wonderful people and I love them for it. Now it's also not just in teamspeak that this happens, let's move our attention to the forums.

It's no secret that disrespect happens on our forum but lets get an example of Staff disrespect shall we? A while back I, 90% alone decided to rewrite the community rules as they were quite lacking. I made this announcement so that people could take a look at the new threads. I don't know if any of you took the time to read that thread but basically in the entire thread made sure it sounded like I was super happy, super cheerful. I had finally finished the project that I had put over 18 hours of work into and I was getting to share it with the community. Well then you got to read the comments. I'm pretty sure that the only comments on that thread that weren't disrespectful to me were either responses to other people's comments or comments from the other staff members. These comments were horrible. I'm not trying to make a sob story or anything but they made me cry, for hours, and then I took a 1 week break from the server to fix the impact that these comments had had on my self esteem. I honestly couldn't believe that the community could be so disrespectful, and the main problem, is that I couldn't do anything. When I get disrespected, I basically have to make my own player report if I want it dealt with because if I was to punish someone for disrespecting me, it would sound catty or like I'm abusing my powers. And hell knows what horrible things people would have to say about that.

To be bluntly honest, some people do not completely flat out say anything as direct proof of disrespect, but the way some people speak to me and the other staff members, or they type the them, their tone of voice or tone of writing, sounds like they wish we were dead.

Here is an example of 3 messages that I received regarding a person using homophobic and utterly disrespectful language to land themselves a forum ban.
    "Player": You see, you don't have an argument

"Player": You just pulled out, gay means bad out of your ass e.g. "its bad

"Myself": Either way

"Myself": homosexuality

"Player": I didn't pull shit from my ass to attempt to make an argument that was not incorrect

"Player": I'm 100% in the right here

"Player": The fact that you can't admit it and just unban is completely and utterly childish

Even when this player isn't flat out insulting me, his tone of writing can show his emotions just as well. He doesn't need to insult me.

Another example was a player on teamspeak also using the word "gay" as a derogatory term.

This was out loud and I asked him not to say that word that way as it's extremely offensive to some people. HIs response? Was to say it out loud around 7 more times until i teamspeak banned him for 5 minutes, which on my part was MORE than gracious. I basically gave this player, who constantly treats me and the other staff like garbage, a "get out of jail free card" if you will. The Staff Disrespect in this situation is clear, I asked him not to say that and he instantly went against my word. Sadly the situation was not over. He proceeded to in game, spam the words "gay" and "faggot" multiple times. I doubled his last mute which was also more than nice of me and made the reason "Intentional Staff Disrespect and Spam" and muted him for 6 hours. Once again, I wish the situation had been finished but sadly, it wasn't. Once the players 5 minute ban on teamspeak was finished, he returned. Starting with a wonderful "I'm BAAAAAAACK" clearly to spite myself and the other staff. He then persisted on, in public teamspeak mind you, to disrespect me by complaining that his mute was given the wrong reason and that he wanted a different reason. And then with any attempt to explain how what he did was in fact staff disrespect, he refused to listen. This also to let you know is a player that spends most of his time coming up with ways to upset the staff, whether it's to find loopholes, or to find ways he can make fun of the mods without being punished, he tries his very best. Yes I'll admit it, I've told him not to talk to me unless he has a legitament concern, asking this respectfully, and he reported me for harassment.

These players know exactly who they are but I ask respectfully that both players or anyone who knows who they are to please keep their names unmentioned.

To sum this all up, the server that once saved me from the troubles of my messed up life, is now eating away, slowly killing me, not painless. The only way that this will get better is if you people help. Respect the staff and what they do for you. Honestly, I would take all the disrespectful comments that you guys throw at staff, and let them all e directed towards me if it meant that the other staff never had to deal with it. These people are people I respect and would follow until the end.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2016
  2. PapaSkid

PapaSkid Well-Known Member

Quinn Top lane
    Ban them from teamspeak stop being so nice babe @Soup

Not for 5 minutes, that doesn't teach a lesson.

Turtleguy2018 likes this.
  3. Soup

Being Tasty.
    I realize I messed up, but I can't just ban him again to extend his ban, either way the situation ended with him getting a 6 hour ban.

4. PapaSkid

Quinn Top lane
    If he doesn't it again ban him do longer, you're doing the right thing lol.

Give me his name or tell Ben to talk to him.

5. Hoozier

Hoozier Well-Known Member

Let me remind you all, what @Soup said is ONE person. Their are more than one like this on the server, and trust me, I personally have gone to Ben a couple of times. Over time they will be removed from the server, I just can't wait until it happens.

6. lobster

lobster Well-Known Member Builder

League Of Legends
    @Kevin You do make a very good point.

I'll be back with a response tomorrow afternoon (keyboard noisy and it's 11:46pm at night).

7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I’m trying
    Saying things like that doesn't make you any better than the people you're talking about...

8. maxben34

maxben34 Owner Owner Developer

I think that people have begun to lose hope in the server, because they see playercounts dropping and make themselves believe it's the begginning of the end (which it's not). As a result of this, they aren't as invested in the server and the community and don't care about how their actions effect things.

We need to all begin to recognize that the server's community isn't something that Jackson, myself, or any staff member can fix. It's not like there's a bug on MCI and we can spend 10 minutes to fix it. It's an issue that the entire community needs to consider, and work towards improving. If we want the server's community to get better, we must first all recognize that as a part of the community, we're a part of the problem.

So, what can we do to improve this? Be mature, be respectful, be nice to one another, try to start caring a little bit more, (the staff, Jackson, and myself still really really really do care) and spread this posititive energy to others. Once this happens, things will get better, but it's not something that the staff, Jackson and myself can do.

9. PapaSkid

Quinn Top lane
    Its all about the positive vibes #NiceShirt

10. Soup

Being Tasty.
    I am staff member and I approve this message.

Ben has talked to him, so have I

11. Rod337

Rod337 Well-Known Member

Squids cleaning lady
    Home Page:
    Like i said, there are going to be people who miss the point... but whatever. I never said there was anything wrong with people. I don't care if they leave. I just want to know what is wrong with the community, a topic unrelated with people leaving...

What is wrong with the community? Thats the main point, lets just forget the part about players leaving, thats not the big picture.

Wow, I bet that was hard to write, but I'm glad you shared that with us. So, to me, it seems like there are certain people on the server who act really bad, and the rest are just normal. Is this correct? I think that this behavior is mostly being continued because no one really says anything about it. What I mean is- I was in a room with a guy that was openly bragging to everyone, saying- "I'm the most racist person on the server, even more than squidwarb" Thats actually what they said... I havent altered their words at all. Then they proceeded to talk about how they hated black people so much, both ig and on ts, and a mod @Masteraj12 i think it was, warned him to stop, and he actually PLEADED him to let him continue being racist. All this time there where like 4 other people in the channel, and NO ONE was laughing. One kid litteraly told me "thats just how he is, you get used to it" Thats what i mean. And im to blame here too. Evey day i wish i had told him to shut up. But I didnt, and neither did everyone else. So thats how it has to be stopped, everyone has to make it clear that its not funny to do those types of things, and more importantly, back up the mods when they issue warnings and whatnot.

But more personally, I'm really sorry that you feel that way. I was bullied in elementary school, some kid would actively look for me and take my glasses, then torment me before giving them back, so I know how much that can suck.

12. Soup

Being Tasty.
    Even if people aren't doing anything wrong it doesn't mean that they're helping. Instead of just sitting there as you see something like this happening, help. Tell the player not to.

13. PapaSkid

Quinn Top lane
    You can't just tell them not to, remember to always spread those positive vibes

14. maxben34

maxben34 Owner Owner Developer

If everybody is nice to each other, being mean will be noticibly messed up and people won't do it

15. Turtleguy2018

Turtleguy2018 Well-Known Member

Gas Station Owner
    #niceshirt. Positive vibes have been spread.

pistolsteven and PapaSkid like this.
  16. PapaSkid

Quinn Top lane
    Exactly, that's why we have to spread those positive vibes

17. Hoozier

All that needs to happen for this community to be less toxic is for staff to be less tolerant, and for the players to respect everyone as a whole.

(The reason I say less tolerant is because some of them are still roaming the server continually harassing and putting in there 2 cents) Not sure what the debate is, that is the problem.

18. PapaSkid

Quinn Top lane
    Constant punishing will make the server seme scary and people want to leave.

Instead let's spread those positive vibes.

19. Hoozier

I am not saying punish them constantly, I am saying that some are receiving a lot of warnings.

20. PapaSkid

Quinn Top lane
    Ah yes something should be done but spreading positive vibes should be a priority also

Izay0i likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.