1. Hello Guest!

Please take a moment to review our updated forum rules before continuing to use this site. If you have any issues or feedback, please private message mattrick or Soup so we can discuss.

Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Important MCI 3.0 Announcement Thread

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by maxben34, May 24, 2018.

1. chessgeek10

chessgeek10 Well-Known Member

Cow
    Rod says it perfectly. Teamspeak was an important part of 2.0, and I respect the opinion of those who have grown attached to it.
    But this is 3.0, not 2.0 - out with the old and in with the new.

MCI 3.0 has to appeal to the widest audience or it'll never get off the ground. Teamspeak may have the advantage in sound quality, but Discord's simplicity, popularity, and permanence is going to draw in the people who aren't consistently reading this thread, and that's the demographic we should be appealing to.

2. Bacon

Bacon Well-Known Member

Playing Project mayhem on my computer
    Home Page:
    just dont allow users of the discord to use chat, only voice chat allowed

3. Rod337

Rod337 Well-Known Member

Squids cleaning lady
    Home Page:
    That's more than a bit redundant, the whole appeal of discord is the multiple text channels along the voice channels. If you block the use of the text channels, the reaction of every single new member, I guarantee, will be "Wait why aren't there any text channels". We would probably be the only server they've ever joined without access to text channels, because I'm in 21 different servers and I've never even heard of anyone doing that.

Like I said, you and the other very dedicated teamspeak users are just going to have to get used to discord. You might even like it. But the truth is, this is the only gaming community -or online community in general- I know of that is using teamspeak. Discord is just newer, more attractive, and way easier to use.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    InDstructable likes this.
  4. Timelord_Ryan

Timelord_Ryan Member Builder

If we are going to have a discord to get new players involved in the community I believe we should remove the voice chat rooms and instead promote the usage of teamspeak to talk to people within the community and use discord as a means of asking questions and other things.

Agent40 likes this.
  5. Agent40

Agent40 Well-Known Member YouTube

Famous Youtuber
    I (to the full extent) agree with Ryan on this one. Having to use discord just for the pure fact that It's popularity is higher than that of teamspeaks' is kind of ridiculous. I would go more in-depth about my opinion on Discord and how it has never truly been a replacement for teamspeak, but I'll leave that for another time when It's necessary.

Also I can't remember the last time I saw a minecraft discord that wasn't private work well..

Also @Rod337, I Don't even remember the last time I heard you talk or even seen you near the teamspeak so why is talking so much of a thing for you now?

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  6. lobster

lobster Well-Known Member Builder

League Of Legends
    @Agent40 I'm pretty sure I've spoken to rod on teamspeak a few times, just saying.

7. Agent40

Agent40 Well-Known Member YouTube

Famous Youtuber
    I have too, was just trying to point out it's been around 2 years.

8. TeamPurple

TeamPurple The Purpatraitor (Mod)

You can find me MCI_and_Chilling
    I would be all for Discord besides the fact that I come across more Minecraft servers using TeamSpeak than that of Discord. The one server I used to play that had both had a split community and ended up dieing (Small server used to get same players as PM). If Minecraft servers were more orientated towards discord not TeamSpeak I believe this would work

9. InDstructable

InDstructable Active Member

The teamspeak isn't attached to MCI. I agree with the movement to discord. But the teamspeak isn't made primarily for mci, it was made for all of project mayhem. So saying that because mci is going from 2.0 to 3.0 isn't a valid argument to change from teamspeak to discord.

10. OwenDaBoss

OwenDaBoss New Member

Q: Will there be a stat reset on MCI 3.0?

A: Yes. We feel that at this point, it is in our best interest to reset stats on MCI 3.0. I know that this means that I'm changing my mind from my previous stance on this issue, but the release of MCI 3.0 shouldn't be thought of as a large MCI 2.0 update; we want it to be thought of as its own game, because it is.

Why not just reset people that are above Master Prestige 1 and make them Master Prestige 1? I feel this would be better because it wont have people quit and it wont make people as mad but its not my server its yours so you can chose. @maxben34

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I’m trying
    Because maybe master prestige is being removed. This is a full MCI reset, so why would anyone get special treatment? Everyone will be semi equal again

Jacob76598 and MutatedGrape like this.
  12. InDstructable

If you read the full post maxben wants us to think of this as a completely new game. Some prestige may be COMPLETELY reworked. Possibly even no prestiges

13. MutatedGrape

MutatedGrape Well-Known Member

Finding humor
    Wth, prestige is one of the basic elements of mci, I wouldn't go as far as thinking that.

14. Bacon

Bacon Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    i was being sarcastic but okay.

15. InDstructable

it's a possibility. a low one at that though

16. Bacon

Bacon Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No, it's not a possibility at all.

17. Nitromaniac

Nitromaniac Well-Known Member Builder

carrying the build team
    Only Ben knows, you wouldn't know

lobster likes this.
  18. Rod337

Rod337 Well-Known Member

Squids cleaning lady
    Home Page:
    I don't know how you expected me to know that, text isn't really the best medium for sarcasm, and your "suggestion" wasn't outlandish.

This is the reverse of what Bacon suggested sarcastically, so I think my previous post responds to this suggestion exactly the same. Having a Discord server missing a very integral feature, last time it was text channels, in this case it is voice channels, will only lead to confusion and frustration. You need to understand that the casual gamer uses Discord for both text and voice, and having two different programs that do the same job is extremely redundant.

I think that having Discord over Teamspeak because of Discords popularity is not ridiculous. Isn't that just what we want, for the popularity of the server to grow? Why use an outdated program from 2008 that the average 12 year old has never heard of, when theres a much more attractive and intuitive program that sees much more use by the casual gamer? Like I've already said, it may not rub well with some of the dedicated community that is used to teamspeak, but the program you are using is outdated and out of use, the server will benefit by attracting new members, and we can't restrain the servers growth by trying our very hardest to not do anything that will upset the dedicated players in the slightest.

I think now is a perfect time to go into depth, since it is what we are currently discussing.

I don't know what you mean by private, which leads me to believe you have used Discord very little. I'd wager that the ambiguity this sentence harbors is due to you not actually having any examples. I'm sure there are servers that have been shut down using both Discord or Teamspeak, so this point is very lackluster. A switch to Discord doesn't change the community, it would be the same people, so arguing that a different program would lead to disaster is kind of pointless.

I haven't been active on this server for two years, why would I hang around on Teamspeak in a room of 8 people shouting about a game I don't play? Mci is the only community I've ever been a part of that used Teamspeak, so when I stopped playing, I had no reason to use it. It was always very inconvenient to use Teamspeak, since all the other communities I was a part of opted for Discord. Best comparison I can think of is when you have to download some random instant messenger for a group of friends (like kik or whatsapp), and you just have text groupchats for everyone else. I didn't stop "talking" when I quit minecraft, on the contrary, I went out and found older friends that played the same games I was interested in.

19. CREEPER__1

CREEPER__1 Well-Known Member

Meme Expert and Hentai Enthusiast
    On my gaming chair making PM-MC hentai and memes
    Why don’t we all just use skype?

Ok, but seriously I wouldn’t mind too much if we needed to switch over to discord. I know it will probably be necessary because it’s the platform that everyone is using and is familiar with to communicate nowadays, and it appears many people find teamspeak too mentally challenging to use. I would prefer to stick with teamspeak just because of how many more options are available for customization when compared to discord, and the sound quality on teamspeak tends to surpass that of discord’s. Nontheless, I could see why people would advocate for a switch to discord. I could get behind that change if it actually does result in more people using the platform and becoming a more pivotal part of the community. It’s going to take the community some getting used to if we switch, but in the end I think everyone will be fine with the change. In conclusion I think that if we do get the proper advertising to bring more people to the server it’s necessary we switch to discord; the justification for this is because most of the people coming in will not be familiar with teamspeak and will likely avoid it, losing us players. I’m gonna miss teamspeak like lots of others, but it’s for the better I suppose.

Sidenote: If we switch over to discord I demand a NSFW channel and a memerator tag.

MutatedGrape, Rod337, lobster and 5 others like this.
  20. EvanRocks2

EvanRocks2 Active Member

Squids Slave
    Who knows maybe some OG people might play again...

HaleStorm likes this.