1. Hello Guest!

Please take a moment to review our updated forum rules before continuing to use this site. If you have any issues or feedback, please private message mattrick or Soup so we can discuss.

Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

[MCI 3.0] Complete Companion Rework

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Nitromaniac, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Nitromaniac

Nitromaniac Well-Known Member Builder

carrying the build team
    Here is my idea for how Companions can fit into 3.0. I will discuss the problem with 2.0 companions, and explain how they can be fixed and benefit the new Infected coming out later this year.
    So, the problem I saw, as a whole in MCInfected 3.0, was that more and more stuff being added caused massive amounts of confusion for players, especially new players. One of these things that I feel like wasn't added correctly was companions. They were a cool concept, first being introduced in the Thanksgiving update and adding the turkey companion. It shot eggs at infected, a very simple concept.
    Companions were often argued over in 2.0. Some being too strong, some being confused with infected kits, companions being pay to win. I think in 3.0, companions should become more of an aesthetic change. Basically by this, I mean people would pick their companion based off looks and rarity, rather than ability. How do we make this happen?

1) Make all companions possess the same ability: I think the turkey companion is a brilliant idea for what companions should do. I think all companions should have only one power--to throw a certain item at infected, dealing damage. No special abilities, no poison or potion effects. Just straight damage. This will make it so all companions are equal in strength.

2) Create a base model for companions: By this, I mean that all companions should be the same shape. In 2.0, some companions were baby zombies dressed up, while others were actual mobs. I think it would bring more simplicity to the game if all companions took the shape of a baby zombie dressed up as whatever mob it was supposed to be portraying. Basically each companion would get a mask (f.e. turkey mask for turkey companion), colored leather armor (probably brown would work for turkey companion) and a certain item that it throws at infected (eggs for turkey worked fine). This would make it easier to distinguish companions from infected classes, as well as just make all companions cuter and match each other. I will list more examples of the companions farther below.

3) More choices doesn't mean more confusion: Some people may disagree with my idea to change companions. However, if we use this idea, the list of companions could be limitless. If all companions are the same, identical in every aspect except for physical looks, then we can add loads of companions to the game. The potential is limitless, and it isn't confusing, because they all do the same thing so no memorization is required. We just need a good companion menu with pictures of the item they throw or their heads.

4) Make companions more common: No more commanders spending so much time grinding games just to save up 10,000 cookies to afford a companion. I feel like they should be around 2,500-5,000 cookies, depending on how cool they look. Then you go into the menu and purchase the one you want. I also suggest the addition of a very common companion that everyone unlocks after their first prestige. I have named this companion the "Prestige Pig".

5) Reset current companions: MCI 3.0 will be a new game, so remove all the past companions and start fresh. You can re-add the old ones as the holidays pass and new packs come out. Below I will list a few companions, some new and some already in game, and give detail into what I am talking about.

Companion name: Prestige Pig
    How to obtain: Reach first prestige
    Mask: Pig
    Armor color: Pink
    Throwable: Cooked porkchop
    --
    Companion name: Turkey
    How to obtain: Buy thanksgiving pack
    Mask: Chicken
    Armor color: Brown leather
    Throwable: Egg
    --
    Companion name:
    Spider
    How to obtain: 2,500 cookies
    Mask: Spider
    Armor color: Black
    Throwable: Web Item (has no bonus effect on infected, all looks)
    --
    Companion name: Blaze
    How to obtain: 5,000 cookies
    Mask: Blaze skull
    Armor color: Red/orange
    Throwable: Blaze Rod
    --
    Companion name: Ninja
    How to obtain: 5,000 cookies
    Mask: Ninja mask
    Armor color: Black
    Throwable: Nether star

I just added some new crazy ones like Ninja to illustrate how creative the companions could be.

What do you think of my ideas? Give more feedback below! I feel like as supporters of MCInfected 2.0, we should be able to help shape the new 3.0. All this is just me thinking and getting creative about the new gamemode.

2. ItzCqnadian

ItzCqnadian Active Member Builder

I like this idea, and how it's kind of like skins for companions instead, because they all do the same thing with the same damage right?

Nitromaniac likes this.
  3. CREEPER__1

CREEPER__1 Well-Known Member

Meme Expert
    These are just my thoughts, but I don’t really even think companions are needed in 3.0. In 2.0 they serve as just a nuisance for the infected, and turns the attention away from killing the humans to killing companions first (one example is pig companion). Truthfully survivors don’t need companions, they are strong enough as they are.

Don’t get me wrong I like the idea of companions, but as of now they just seem like something that was implemented in order to get people to buy holiday ranks. I think they could be added later with different implications, but when 3.0 releases there shouldn’t be any present. As people become more comfortable with the changes to MCI, we could then decide whether or not companions should be re-added and if they would fit in with the new changes.

As for this idea (no offense), but I don’t think it would be a good idea to limit companions to one universal companion that you can just dress up. Also it would be really annoying for every survivor to just have different looking turkey companions scurrying around dealing pick damage to infected. There should be more than just a single companion if there are going to be any companions at all. The whole cosmetic aspect is pretty cool I guess, but then every companion is just a dressed up baby zombie, which I’m really not fond of (again just my opinion). Furthermore, most people will just ignore upgrading their companions cosmetics since it doesn’t affect how well they perform in combat. Sure there will be a few who want to make their companion look cool, but the majority of people most likely won’t care.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  4. Masteraj12

Masteraj12 (☞゚ヮ゚)☞Sr. Moderatorororor☜(゚ヮ゚☜) Sr. Mod

Expressing a mentioned stance in my own words, I really dislike Companions for MCI. Thinking of it this way, does it really feel like Infected at that point? New content is fine as long as it doesn't take the game and make it something it shouldn't be. That's a big issue we had with 2.0 and strive to resolve in 3.0; keeping McInfected as McInfected. Nothing completely insane, just refining the game and consolidating it into a well developed package instead of a cluster of ideas. Quality over quantity, and adding companions back just doesn't personally pique my interest. However, having this cosmetic version maybe be in the Main Lobby and having no game impact could work. Keep in mind this is my opinion on the matter and I want you guys to discuss whether you think it should be in the game or not.

5. chessgeek10

chessgeek10 Well-Known Member

Cow
    I like where this is going. 2.0's companion system sounded like a fantastic idea, but for some reason felt off when fighting against them.

Originally, I had planned to suggest that companions could become fully cosmetic, with absolutely no ability. That way they wouldn't be limited to a single entity size in different garments, and so it could be used as a decent source of rank-related revenue.

But then I realized that even cosmetic pets in-game can physically block shots from infected.

I guess I have no proper opinion or suggestion. Perhaps companions could exist only in the lobby between games, or maybe they should be removed entirely as the previous comments suggestions. I hope Ben makes the right decision, whatever that may be.

psandoval19 likes this.
  6. ItzCqnadian

ItzCqnadian Active Member Builder

Maybe adding to the cosmetic side of things, maybe companions could be a thing that follow you around in lobbies like other servers, or in game but just don't do anything other than look dank

7. Bacon

Bacon Well-Known Member

Playing Project mayhem on my computer
    Home Page:
    instead add a prestige perk that gives you an attack dog, and a prestige perk that gives you a cat that reduces explosive resistance (the perks can be upgraded, like maybe giving the dog more health and the cat more health)