1. Hello Guest!

Please take a moment to review our updated forum rules before continuing to use this site. If you have any issues or feedback, please private message mattrick or Soup so we can discuss.

Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

[MCI 3.0] Objective Rounds

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by CREEPER__1, Aug 11, 2018.

?

Do you think this is a good idea for MCI 3.0?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. CREEPER__1

CREEPER__1 Well-Known Member

Meme Expert and Hentai Enthusiast
    On my gaming chair making PM-MC hentai and memes
    This is an idea I have been thinking of suggesting for months now, but I never really suggested it until now. My idea draws inspiration from both Left 4 Dead and the Garry's Mod Zombie Survival gamemode.

Minimum Amount of Players to Start an Objective Round & How Often One Happens:

My idea is that they add a special rounds known as an objective rounds to MCInfected 3.0 that will be playable maybe every 15 rounds or so if there are enough players online (25 to 55+ players). If there are less than 25 players online by the time MCI rotates through 15 rounds the objective round won't happen (these numbers aren't concrete objective rounds could happen more or less frequently depending on what people would prefer). The reason I set a minimum of 25 players for an objective round to start is because with too little people the game wouldn't play out as smoothly, and most likely result in very slow gameplay or the game ending too quickly.

What is an Objective Round:
    If you have ever played on a Garry's Mod Zombie Survival Server or Left 4 Dead you will probably notice similarities in what I describe here. An objective round puts a new twist on how MCInfected can be played. New maps would need to be created in order for this gamemode to work and follow its playstyle.

Here are the basics. Survivors will be tasked with objectives after the infected have been chosen. Each map could tell its own story, for example escaping an infected city with someone on a radio guiding you out and escaping on a helicopter. Different maps could tell different "stories" and involve different objectives to complete with your fellow survivors. Some of which could consist of: guarding a generator/power source to open a door that the infected are trying to destroy, collecting various parts to build a contraption to advance/open a door, holding off infected until a door has finished opening, or holding off infected until a helicopter comes for pick-up, etc. There are limitless possibilities to what types of objectives can be put in each map and what kinds of stories each map tells. The maps would be built to create a linear style of gameplay for both survivors and infected by moving them from one area to another after each objective is complete. There don't need to be too many objectives in each map to the point where it feels overdone, especially since some objectives may take a bit of time.

I mentioned this earlier, but in order to avoid confusing players and keep them on track there could be a narrator talking to the survivors on what they should be doing and where they should be going. Items that are being collected for objectives, generators, and other things that contribute to completing objectives can be highlighted by green particles to signify importance. The narrator could vary from map to map depending on the setting/ story it's telling. For example, there could be a zombie outbreak survivor guiding players through the map over a radio to a helicopter pick up. They would guide them through the map and objectives that need to be completed to advance. The way they would communicate to survivors is through chat, kind of like how NPCs talk to you in the anniversary in which it makes a ding noise and is bold to alert you. Infected could have similar sorts of tips pop up for them telling them to kill survivors and prevent them from completing the objective or destroy a generator to keep survivors from progressing. As survivors progress through the map, the infected teams spawn point will change to advance with the survivors. One thing that I think would be really cool is if the map implemented a system of sorts where infected spawn and can travel through tunnels to different regions of the objective area to prevent spawn tanking (kind of like a vent system, but this doesn't need to be true for all maps). Another thing that may need to be implemented to keep players from falling behind is that if survivors don't advance to the next area after an objective is completed they will begin taking poison damage. Once survivors reach the last objective and complete it the survivors will win, if infected kill all survivors before they complete the objective infected win, or if there is an objective that involves protecting a number of generators and they are all destroyed infected will win regardless if humans are still alive. To keep maps from being repetitive it might even be possible to have objectives on certain maps change from time to to time.

I know that this sounds like a lot, but it really boils down to being a quite simple concept. It also deviates from how MCInfected is normally played, but I think that's a really good thing for 3.0. Most people are just plain out bored of playing the same game over and over again. This alleviates the feeling of repetition and provides more replay ability in MCI.

Replacement for Player Goal:
    This would almost act like a better replacement for player goal if every objective round dished out more cookies than usual MCInfected games did. It encourages players to get others on to start a new type of round while rewarding them with more cookies for playing this special round. I think that it would be cool if survivors got extra cookies for completing objectives, and infected would get half the cookies the survivors got for completing the objective (this is just an idea). Or cookies could just be distributed only through kills and surviving like normal, but could be double. I think this would be a better substitute for player goal since it doesn't happen very often like the player goal, and requires a threshold of people to start it and as long as you maintain that threshold you can continue playing objective rounds. To me player goal just seems like a desperate attempt to get enough people on for one round and once it's over everyone bails. This however encourages players to stay on longer and still find new enjoyment out of the special round.

Cons of this idea
    • This idea will take a lot of work and time to implement into MCInfected considering the amount of coding that would need to go into it, and the fact that new linear style maps would have to be created just for these rounds to work.
    • Some players might dislike objective rounds and prefer to just stick with old MCI.
    Pros of this idea
    • Adds a whole new twist to MCInfected keeping players from getting bored.
    • Encourages teamwork between players instead of mindlessly punching infected to death solo.
    • Encourages players to bring more players on to start objective rounds.
    • Opens up a whole new area for new map designs. Also new objectives could be created for each map.
    Sorry if this post looks really cluttered I didn't spend too long organizing it. I just wanted to get my ideas down, let me know what you think.

2. baseballaholic22

baseballaholic22 The Squeaker Mod Moderator

Professional Mineman
    I love the idea, it is really thought out and well done, good job! In my opinion I believe this should happen once every 10 rounds if it has the proper amount of players because 15 rounds is roughly over an hour, and if you just missed a objective round you won't want to wait over an hour for the next one. Also, instead of humans getting poison when running out of time the infected should just get strength and speed buffs. The poison will become annoying because it ticks your screen until you are left on half a heart.

3. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Climbing the ladder for woof king
    oh yeah when someone ELSE makes an idea for objective rounds its a good idea

4. psandoval19

psandoval19 Well-Known Member

art prostitute
    i'm going to intervene real quick, buddy
    i'm not the type of person to do this, but i think you deserve an outside perspective on your forum personality

First off, I do not think your pity-party is effective at getting other forum members to side with you. It gets a bit exhausting seeing the self-depreciation on nearly every post you come up with.

It is also important to recognize that your initial ideas were very rushed, and when people offered honest criticism, you would quickly refute it with a baseline of, "no my idea is better." Now I'm not saying that everyone that commented on your first ideas were filled with constructive criticism, loaded with tips and tricks and positive reinforcement. Most of us on here aren't super invested into the game to put in the effort to propose new ideas, they just voice whether or not they like the direction 3.0 is taking. I understand that can be frustrating when people disagree with your proposals, but aren't quite explaining why, but you must understand that we feel the same way when you simply stand for your own words time and time again.

When you come up with ideas, whether it be on these little forums or in your everyday life, you need to be open to criticism. I get you're very fond of your ideas, and that you may have spent a long time thinking about it, but not everyone thinks the way you do. It's especially important to consider that when you propose such a raw idea, the community wants to help you shape it (at least those that comment on your ideas).

I will let you know that your initial ideas were kinda rushed, a little sloppy, or a bit vague. After getting some tips from some other members, however, you shut them down with quick responses. This, unfortunately, lead to a poor reputation on your part. Although, I'll be the first to admit that your ideas have gotten a bit better over the past couple weeks by having them be more fleshed out. At this point, though, it is hard to get people to see past your brief history of quick ideas with lack of an open mind.

Not to mention that you come up with new ideas frequently. Seeing the same person upload more and more ideas, which all typically lead to incentives in the form of kits and cosmetics, you adopt the policy of quantity over quality, which in turn decreases your credibility furthermore. I don't mean to discuss your ideas on this post, but I make the comment to help you recognize the repetition in your posts. When people sense a trend in your ideas, or hear the same thing over and over in your posts, they are less likely to listen entirely.

The reason Creeper's getting more attention to his idea is how thoughtful it was. His proposal was very well thought out, leaving room for the community to ask extraneous questions and discuss what parts may or may not work. His reputation also suggests that if people disagree with some parts, he is likely to listen and consider their concerns.

If you feel that people disagreeing with one of your ideas, confront them politely. Don't simply tell them "uh, did you not see what I said earlier?"
    This antagonizing tone creates more enemies than it does allies. Recognize their kindness in trying to help you out, but also explain, in depth, why you think your idea is better-suited. Simply reiterating what you previously wrote won't accomplish anything except prove you haven't thought about the idea in depth.

TL;DR Suck up your pride, be kind, be open-minded. People will be more open to your ideas and offer genuine help.

sorry for pulling out the mom-card but like, everyone on PM is too much a pussy to confront you 'bout it, so i'll volunteer to be the bad guy

Rod337, MutatedGrape, Agent40 and 6 others like this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Ruffino Ristorante Italiano.
    Excuse me, but pussy isn't a bad thing. However, I agree with this and can't say it any better.

Good ideas and I really liked how you put it Creeper, very detailed and very neat

CREEPER__1 and psandoval19 like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Climbing the ladder for woof king

Quick rude responses has been part of my personality that I have been trying to get rid of for a while.
    I try to be open minded but I get mad when people say my ideas suck with no reasons or counter ideas gets me ticked off

7. ItzCqnadian

ItzCqnadian Active Member Builder

I really like this idea, building maps for these types of rounds would be fun! Also, making them a bit more frequent would probably be better, but other than that, it's something that would work well for MCI if it was implemented.

8. Rockin

Rockin Well-Known Member

Cookie Farming
    I agree that this is a way better alternative than the current player goal. The game needs something other than just cookies to bring in attention, because people just stop playing when the cookie income is low, thus spiraling the player count downwards. I also love the idea of creating stories.

9. Furiosus_

Furiosus_ Well-Known Member

CookieCollector
    Home Page:
    Sounds really cool. Unfortunately Mci3.0 isn't coming anytime soon. The energy the community puts in is sort of wasted, which is a shame. But whatever, we can all dream...

10. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

You know, without ideas the game mode would feel empty and shit, right? The more ideas the more fun we will have when it comes out.

11. Furiosus_

CookieCollector
    Home Page:
    The more we expect from it, the more disappointed we will be. Might just be me tough, but I lost faith in this.

12. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Why? Has anything proven that it's shit? Everything I have seen now is just positive things that the community wants.

13. Furiosus_

CookieCollector
    Home Page:
    Everything I have seen is developers already neglecting the project before it even properly started. But it might just be me only seeing the negative things.