1. Hello Guest!

Please take a moment to review our updated forum rules before continuing to use this site. If you have any issues or feedback, please private message mattrick or Soup so we can discuss.

Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Important MCI 3.0 Proposal Set #3: Maps

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by maxben34, Jul 10, 2018.

1. maxben34

maxben34 Owner Owner Developer

Hey Mayhemians,

Sorry for the delay on this, but here it is:

Proposal Set #3: Maps

We feel that MCI has too many maps. We want to remove all maps that don’t play well including maps that are too big, depended on redstone spots, or had built in, overpowered hiding spots.

We hope to be more vigilant in the future when accepting maps. We will make sure that they are the right size, fair to play on and doesn’t have special hiding spots. To avoid having too many maps, we will rotate out the least liked maps when new maps are added.

We also felt like some of these maps below may have been over nerfed or changed in MCI 2.0 due to the imbalance of infected. Most viable tanking spots were nerfed or removed. With humans being balanced out, we plan on bringing back some of the overnerfed tanking spots.

Here’s a list of proposed maps that we feel fit the game best. If you feel like we’re missing a map or a map shouldn’t belong, feel free to let us know!

Maps we want to keep:

-Abandon
    -Aftermath
    -(Old) Arkaden
    -Bailout
    -Bayview
    -Bootleg
    -Cargo
    -Carrier
    -Central City
    -Dome
    -Downturn
    -Erosion
    -Estate
    -Express
    -Fallen
    -Firing Range
    -Getaway
    -Goron City
    -Grid
    -Grind
    -(Old) Hardhat
    -Highrise
    -Hijacked
    -Industrial
    -Interchange
    -Jungle
    -Lockdown
    -Lookout
    -Medieval Kingdom
    -Meltdown
    -Nuketown
    -Outpost
    -Quarry
    -Raid
    -Resistance
    -Plaza
    -Port Lundene
    -Rush
    -Rust
    -Seatown
    -Skidrow
    -Skyloft
    -Sovereign
    -(Old) Standoff
    -Strikezone
    -Studio
    -Subbase
    -Summit
    -Takeoff
    -Terminal
    -Temple of Time
    -Underground
    -Underpass
    -Vacant
    -Vector
    -Village
    -Vertigo
    -WMD

Maps we are on the fence about:

-Carbon
    -Catalonia
    -Citadel
    -Downfall
    -Drone
    -Facility
    -Favela
    -Hydro
    -Mirage
    -Occupation
    -Oilrig
    -Outskirts
    -Slums and/or Old Slums
    -Showdown

Maps we want to remove:

-Apocalyptic Village
    -Beach
    -Broadcast
    -Checkpoint
    -Chinatown
    -Cove
    -Dollhouse
    -Frost
    -Haven
    -Killhouse
    -MirageCS
    -Overgrowth
    -Pavilion
    -Refinery
    -Resort
    -Riverbend
    -Project Tokyo
    -Sanctuary
    -Sandcastle
    -Scrapyard
    -Shipment
    -Stormfront
    -Vortex
    -Zoo

Thanks for all of your feedback!

-maxben34

superliasse, ellilliv, Wombo and 9 others like this.
  2. Agent40

Agent40 Well-Known Member YouTube

Famous Youtuber
    Most of these maps I agree with but there are a lot I'd like to see removed.

Maps I'd like to see that aren't on the list:
    Favela: (say I'm bias all you want, but I really want to see this kept as it was an original map)
    Oilrig: (It looks nice, pretty small, plays well)
    Frost: (maybe remove some hiding spots, other than that, it was pretty good)
    MirageCS: (rename to Mirage and I think it would work out, It's good mechanically)

Maps I believe should be removed that are on the list:
    WMD: (personally don't like how this map plays)
    Village: (Doesn't play well)
    Outpost: (Doesn't play well, either a quick round or full time)
    Vector: (please no)

Maps on the fence that shouldn't be added:
    Carbon:
    Mirage:
    Outskirts:
    Downfall: (If this does get added, it should receive a revamp)
    New Showdown: (If the old one was brought back I'd state it should be added back but the new showdown, although it looks amazing, it doesn't function correctly and detail overdoes function. Sorry Lobster)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    ImWithSmart likes this.
  3. shell

shell Member

What to add:
    Shaft - memes
    New maps - most people are probably tired of old ones

Remove
    central city - too big lmao

Where is pizzeria by agent40!?!?!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2018
    Timelord_Ryan and Agent40 like this.
  4. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Climbing the ladder for woof king
    Keep zoo but only the inside complex and not the outside area. Oilrig is lit keep that one. Village sux pls remove

Nitromaniac likes this.
  5. npeters96

npeters96 Active Member Builder

Exotic Fireman
    Zubovskiy Bul'var, 25, Moskva, Russia, 119021
    As for the current maps that have been selected to be brought onto 3.0, I would love to see a block update on some of those maps. Take Central City for example, that map is incredibly outdated in regards to its block choices. The map is composed of simplistic stone and brick with various gravel and cobblestone decay sprinkled about. It does not look good compared to other maps created in more recent years. I am not expecting a complete revamp for every single map, but simply a replacement of buildings that are just stone, wood, etc. for more fleshed out buildings. I understand from previous discussions, some people in the community may not want more detail on maps as some of those details may literally ruin someone's gameplay; however I think that the appearance of the server is just as important as the gameplay.

One example of a map that I really enjoyed seeing revamped was Favela. It was one of my favorite maps from the original MCInfected and it was fantastic to see its reincarnation on 2.0. Though some aspects of it were not that great (ex: new camping spots or redstone hideouts), it brought back a sense of refreshment to the game. I want that feeling to exist on the entirety of 3.0 and not for it to become just another reboot.

"Thank you for listening to my TEDTalk" @psandoval19

6. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Climbing the ladder for woof king
    just remove central city its way too big and ive played mci for so long and still don't know every part of the map

Hoozier likes this.
  7. Bacon

Bacon Well-Known Member

Playing Project mayhem on my computer
    Home Page:
    dont you dare touch (don't remove) zoo or oilrig

Nitromaniac and Nick like this.
  8. Hypris

Hypris Well-Known Member Wiki Team Builder

Just Mt.Dewwing it
    Keep:
    Drone
    Occupation
    Showdown
    Favela
    MirageCS
    Downfall - Remove Painting Spot

Remove:
    Slums
    Outskirts
    Citadel
    Mirage
    Carbon
    Hydro
    Vector
    WMD
    Outpost
    Village
    Facility
    Temple Of Time
    Catalonia
    Oilrig

Add:
    Hanoi - Build Server at /warp hanoi

Other than that I agree with the proposal.

9. chessgeek10

chessgeek10 Well-Known Member

Cow
    We have a natural fear of the unknown. That which is unfamiliar can make people uncomfortable and cause short-term anxiety.
    This is certainly not new information, but nonetheless is a concept that applies to this situation.

I believe one of the drawbacks to 2.0's new player retention was the extreme number of maps. Even if half of these maps are cut, a freshly new player will encounter different maps for the entirety of their first day. It could take anywhere from 20 to 60 games of unfamiliar territory before they've played a map twice. Each time, they're forced into the unknown to blindly look for a hiding spot, and the unfamiliarity would no doubt contribute to their demise as well as their dissatisfaction. They aren't accustomed to any of it, so the fear of the unknown can drive them to disconnect and never return.

If, however, a new player sees the map Cargo not too many rounds after they played it as their first game, they are more likely to enjoy their experience. Since they've had a chance to run around the map as infected in their previous attempt, they have some knowledge of the layout and perhaps an idea of where to hide this time.

For this very reason, I believe it is in the server's best interest to reduce the maps to a number much lower than you've suggested.
    No more than 15 maps would help newcomers to more effectively enjoy their experience without the veterans feeling that the gameplay has become repetitive.

It would be a bold move for 3.0, but a small number of maps is no different than any other new game.
    As for which maps, I think the ideal choices would both maximize familiarity while also providing some new possibilities. Maps modeled after the maps of other games would be good picks, as well as the recognizable maps from the original MCI. Among the other picks could be a completely new map, or a revamp of a well-known map.

I'm not suggesting that every other map be shelved for good - the rest of them can come with time. Every week after launch, one or two new maps could be released, to ease the playerbase into the extreme diversity that is the map list. Though missing maps might cause some discomfort for long time players at first, it's more important that 3.0 pleases other demographics as well. Regulars are going to feel discomfort anyway from any current map's removal.

I see that list of 60 maps and counting that you've posted, and it's simply overwhelming.
    If we want the game to be a long-term success, 3.0 should be modeled after the newcomer.

mmo, Rockin, psandoval19 and 3 others like this.
  10. lobster

lobster Well-Known Member Builder

League Of Legends
    Remove the water spot from beach and it's a fine map, no one listened to me for months since it was added about removal of a couple of spots. It's not just that its my map, it's the fact that I think everyone looked at it and thought "ew waterspot"

Found it amusing how central city stayed on there but showdown is on the fence .-.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Wack_Attack and lordslaughter20 like this.
  11. Mikehasta

Mikehasta New Member

I'd still remove a bunch of those maps, not only because they're bad, but having too many maps really hurts the gamemode. The amount of new maps with really shitty gameplay is honestly one of the biggest reasons I left, so I'd like to give my two cents. I'd also not even consider the ones that are on the fence (besides old showdown if possible, that map is so much fun).

Maps I don't like as I look through the list

-Aftermath: A rework of this map could work, but as it stands the main camping spots are horrible for the zombies to get to. Remove the roof spots, remove the button spot, and it could actually be fun
    -Central City: way too many hiding spots, secrets, and simply too complicated and crowded. If I'm a zombie on this map I literally just wouldn't even want to play
    -Bootleg: This map has always been weird af to me and that underground camping spot is cancerous for the zombies
    -Estate: I just don't like this map, and it doesn't seem to play well
    -Getaway: ^
    -Highrise: I want this map to stay but it needs changes. I'm not a fan of hard parkour jumps that lead to OP camping spots. It makes for terrible gameplay when you're a zombie (and I'd argue for humans as well, considering you can just afk)
    -Lookout: Ik a lot of people like this map but I've never been a fan; it's too small and crowded
    -Medieval Kingdom: I don't like how this map plays; too reliant on hiding spots and the hard parkour jump to OP camping spot thing
    -Nuketown: I'm assuming it's the newer version. If so, remove the piston room and iron door shed thing. Also the painting rooms and the underground. It's a rly fun map otherwise
    -Quarry: Again I like this map but it has too many camping/hiding spots for its size. I'd remove a bunch of them like the whole section on the rocks and maybe even close off a few of the buildings. Or remove it completely
    -Port Lundene: I also dislike the way this map is played, it's pretty similar to medieval kingdom. Not fun if you're a zombie
    -Sovereign: Same reason as Estate and Getaway
    -Takeoff:^
    -Temple of Time: Too big
    -Vector: This map is terrible in every sense. Words cannot describe how much I hate it.

And I still think a moderate amount should be removed besides these ones, not because they're bad per se, but they're not that fun and oversaturate the gamemode (If it was up to me I'd go with Abandon, Express, Grid, Plaza, Meltdown, Jungle, Underpass, WMD, and a few more)

Sidenote: Randomly checked the forums today and saw that you guys are rebooting the gamemode. I'm hype af and can't wait to see the end result. MCI 2 definitely needs an overhaul

Rockin and ImWithSmart like this.
  12. MutatedGrape

MutatedGrape Well-Known Member

Finding humor
    Really most maps will be different when all, or most of the camping spots disappear, take Central City and Medieval Kingdom for example, the grudges are built on all the many hiding spots, they could be just fine imo if those hiding spots were removed.

Other than that I think Vector and WMD should especially go, only Favela from the fence should stay in MCI.

Rockin likes this.
  13. TeamPurple

TeamPurple The Purpatraitor (Mod)

You can find me MCI_and_Chilling
    I agree with most maps that are being added/removed

Carbon I get (I think) why it is on the fence when I was building this with whale I continuously added hiding spots. I would like to be given some time to remove quite a lot of spots such as the web room and numerous other small rooms this would enclose the map. With the removal of the web room players would spread out more and with the removal of the numerous hiding spots it would no longer be a map we’re humans always win as players in most hiding spots wil he visible.

14. InDstructable

InDstructable Active Member

Maps will be maps

15. Keldricc

Keldricc Well-Known Member

Professional block game bowspammer
    Home Page:
    Maps I want to murder and never see again:

-Bootleg - There is one spot everyone goes to in this. Even with the nerf to it, it is still incredibly annoying to play on, and you're better off not even playing than feeding the people in the ladder spot. The other spots are okay in it, but if you were to remove it, there would barely be any strong ones left.

-Central City - Too many spots to hide in, and it's so absurdly big.

-Medieval Kingdom - This entire map is just water and ladder spots. The pinnacle of non-interactive gameplay.

-Temple of Time - A terrible map gameplay. Infected are forced to be funneled to get to survivors, and it's overall not fun to play on unless you try to cheese them (like using skele and shooting from the top of the stairs).

-Vector - The single worst map out of all of MCI. You either spend the first 3 minutes of the game as infected jerking yourself off in spawn or be forced to switch kits in order to even get near the survivors. This needs to be removed.

-Catalonia - Same reasons as Temple of Time, except it's just one bottleneck out of spawn and just as obnoxious.

Maps we want to remove: +me these need to die as well

-Chinatown
    -Cove
    -Killhouse
    -MirageCS
    -Overgrowth
    -Pavilion
    -Resort
    -Riverbend
    -Project Tokyo
    -Sanctuary
    -Sandcastle
    -Scrapyard
    -Shipment
    -Stormfront
    -Vortex

Notes:

-Skyloft - Please for the love of god touch this map up. I'm pretty sure the main platform with the giant villager is still uneven.

-Zoo - I actually like this map. Cool idea just needs more hiding spots.

Mikehasta and Nitromaniac like this.
  16. BitHyper

BitHyper Member

Honestly, shipment is a good map because of its size. I think it should stay. Other than that, I agree!

17. Rockin

Rockin Well-Known Member

r̯͖̳̾̀̒̈́͑̍͛ȏ̿̔̉̑k̍͊̃̉̈́̾̈̆̕͞ȉ̡̃͑͂̔̾͘͘n̨̪͎̮̍̇͒́̄͠͠
    The one map I really don't want to see is vector. It's such a displeasing map and hell to play on as zombie.

As for the number of maps, way too many. Try to cut them down. While they can almost all work (with the removal of OP spots), It's just too many for a game to have.

shell, MutatedGrape, lobster and 2 others like this.
  18. Michen_S

Michen_S New Member

Oilrig and Frost are actually decent maps, I think they can stay with a few changes. This counts for MirageCS as well. At the same time Medieval Kingdom and Central City are on the list of staying though, which is odd. I also don't like Carrier, because it feels weird to play on for me (especially regarding the parkour in the beginning). I'm also for the removal of Temple of Time.

I think there are more maps that should be cut out. I can't exactly tell which ones I would like to take out myself, because there are so many maps I can't even tell which name belongs to which map for half of them! There is one map where people climb up a spiral octogon and there are random slime blocks and a beacon on the floor, but I'm not sure how it's called right now... I guess that was Vortex? Either way, that's another map I'd like to see removed.

It wasn't until I actually saw this list that I realised how many maps we actually had. Right now there are still over 50 maps on the list of keeping, when you're already planning to remove over 20! Further cutting down on maps should simplify things, especially for newbies.

That said, I do like exploring new maps for hiding spots/tanking spots and the like, and I can imagine others do too. I like the idea of taking out old maps out for new ones for that reason, it adds something new to the game without the amount of maps getting overwhelming as it is now.

Rockin, ImWithSmart and Nitromaniac like this.
  19. Rockin

Rockin Well-Known Member

The spiraling map is called vector, it's on the list to be added but everyone wants it to be removed. I also forgot about carrier, that parkour spot needs to be removed.

20. iM_2_Gd_4_U

iM_2_Gd_4_U New Member

Woah Wait? You guys still have Project_Tokyo??!?!?! I've been looking for this map FOREVER! Can someone send a link over please or something?