1. Hello Guest!

Please take a moment to review our updated forum rules before continuing to use this site. If you have any issues or feedback, please private message mattrick or Soup so we can discuss.

Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

[MCI] Support Crates

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Nitromaniac, Dec 25, 2017.

?

Yay or nay?

1. Yes please

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yes but edit the drops a bit

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  3. Nooo

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Nitromaniac

Nitromaniac Well-Known Member Builder

carrying the build team
    This is a little idea I had in the shower today, and I figured I'd share it with all of you and see what you think. So without further ado...
    Support Crates
    So, what are support crates? Support Crates are little silver chests (shown here) which spawn randomly throughout every map. The general idea is that these support crates will help players who are not as able as the higher-prestiged commanders and generals, by supplying them with items that will help defend them from the infected horde.
    How would they work? When right clicked, the chest will explode into a red firework, and it will give the person who clicked on it their loot, as well as a message in chat.
    (ex.) You have looted 3 melons from your Support Crate!
    Note that the message will not appear to everyone, unless the player gets an especially rare item.

Now, I bet you're saying...
    This idea could cause a lot of problems... like what's stopping commanders from opening the crates? How would this idea work? So basically, each round, 5-10 Support Crates will spawn in random locations, for the humans to run around and look for. The items you can receive in the crate are determined by what rank you are. The lower your level, the better the loot you can receive from these crates. Here is a general loot table to assist this suggestion:

--​
    (Blue items are only for players who have never prestiged. Gray items are for everyone who fits into those ranks.)
    (__%) - percent chance of receiving any number of said item. Orange percentages are announced in chat to the whole server.
    Rank 1-7
    Melons (2-5) (1-3) - 40%
    Apples (2-3) (1-2) - 25%
    Porkchop (1-2) - 15%
    Iron boots - 10%
    Iron Sword - 15%
    Iron pants - 15%

Rank 7-20
    Melons (1-3) (1-2) - 50%
    Apples (1-2) - 25%
    Porkchop (1) - 15%
    Iron Pants - 5%
    Iron Chestplate - 15%

Rank 21-23
    Melons (1-3) (1) - 70%
    Apples (1-3) (1) - 20%
    Medic Bandage (1) - 10%

Rank 24-25
    Can't open crates

Iron swords and armor? 5 apples? This seems a bit broken.
    You may be questioning my motives for offering players below prestige 1 the opportunity to get a free iron sword, or loads of food. My reasoning for this goes down to the very core purpose of this idea - to give extra power to lower ranked survivors. Right now, commanders dominate the game. Every round, people complain that everyone is commander tanking. Why? Because being a survivor that can't fight back is no fun. These crates are designed to not only help all players who aren't as able as the commanders and generals, but also is meant to help reel in the new players who are just getting started on MCI. A new player who is rank 5 won't be able to do much except hide and die, but if these crates were implemented, they have a new purpose. Search the map for these elusive crates, and you can loot valuable items to help you fight the infected. 5 apples is big help to a rank 5, prestige 0 survivor, but they aren't quite skilled enough at the game to fully use it to their best benefit and become op over it. The iron gear they can earn for the round, it's a preview of what they can get if they keep playing.

Why should this become a thing in MCI?
    While this may just seem like a content drop idea, in reality the core of this idea is to assist the lower leveled players, mainly new players who are just testing out the game. I feel like this idea adds a whole new element to MCI, because there is a newfound hope for survivors who don't quite have all of their iron gear. Sure, they're still weaker, but if they look hard enough, they can loot chests in the maps and find items to help them get stronger for the round. A few more, rapid fire reasons behind this idea:
    -less commander camping
    -more reason to explore the map, less camping in general
    -mci is less black and white
    -adds a new element to MCI
    -more realistic to a zombie survival
    -could give seasonal items during special events to bring players in, such as Christmas, halloween themed items possibly

Cons of your suggestion:
    Might be hard to program chests, I don't really know how much goes into it.

Thanks for reading, I know there's no way it's all totally balanced, but once again this is just the basis of what could be expanded upon and create a wonderful new element to MCI.

2. ItzCqnadian

ItzCqnadian Active Member Builder

This sounds cool! I think that something to help newer players should be implemented! Having them stick around because they have a better chance would greatly help the server. +1

Bacon and Nitromaniac like this.
  3. Furiosus_

Furiosus_ Well-Known Member

CookieCollector
    Home Page:
    Needs rework because it seems more rewarding to stay rank 19 than to go 22/23. But nice idea.

4. Nitromaniac

carrying the build team
    Rank 19 can't get an iron sword, or iron chestplate, so i'd say it really isn't worth it. But as I said, up for changing. Thanks!

5. YellowTehMinerz

YellowTehMinerz Active Member

But if everyone if looking for them they may be gone before you could get them and if you get just food that is the same as tanking at rank 19

Nitromaniac likes this.
  6. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Active Member

Failing School
    What a great idea!!! I would love to see this get added! +1

Nitromaniac likes this.
  7. InDstructable

InDstructable Member

One struggle would be to give an easy and readable description of this. (Jack and Ben's view)

ImWithSmart and Nitromaniac like this.
  8. Valoured

Valoured Member

Shredded Cheese Authority
    I feel like you can't give one player something from the box and another higher ranked player nothing. I really like the idea, maybe you could give a small amount of cookies, or anything that may benefit commanders, instead of an empty box.

9. Nitromaniac

carrying the build team
    My only fear with allowing commanders to open the crates is that, there are so many players just sitting at rank 25 and I feel like they will just steal all the crates from the lower level players, who need them A LOT more than the Commanders.

10. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Climbing the ladder for woof king

Yes yes... I like this idea

Nitromaniac likes this.
  11. Valoured

Valoured Member

Just like the cornucopia it's all fair game

12. Nitromaniac

carrying the build team
    This idea isn't meant to be like the cornucopia

13. Valoured

Valoured Member

I understand that, it's not my best analogy. All I would like to see if this is incorporated is some way to benefit all players whether or not with food or completely different spawned crates designed for each type of player. You still have a +1 from me.

Nitromaniac likes this.
  14. ImWithSmart

ImWithSmart ImWithMod Moderator

That One Guy Who Likes To Explore The Lobby & Mod
    Home Page:
    It's a solid idea. I feel like it's a little redundant that you included ranks that already have pieces of iron armor in support crates that include the same armor pieces (i.e. ranks 19 & 20 already having pants, yet have a chance to get pants from the crates).

Normally, I take new ideas with a grain of salt as they could be very confusing to newer players, however, this is rather simplistic, which I enjoy. The only thing I think would be confusing is seeing a person who's supposed to be full leather running around with half iron armor. It would be interesting to see how this plays out in combat mechanics, as it introduces the possibility of new armor combinations.

I think a cool addition would be for infected to find something in one if they find one before a human does. Sure, it may be a buff, and one that's annoying, but all the same, they only have one life to use it, and would probably expend most to all of the items they might receive because they would enjoy that edge over survivors, regardless of how easy it might be for said infected player to kill a survivor.

So yeah, could use some work, but it's nice. +1

Nitromaniac likes this.
  15. Nitromaniac

carrying the build team
    Sorry I didn’t know what rank you got pants. I’ll fix when I get home... and good idea with infected. All things to think about

16. Rockin

Rockin Well-Known Member

Cookie Farming
    I mean... it could be fun but... wouldn't it be better just to give it to new players only? Since they're disadvantaged in knowledge, everyone who's a higher level will be stealing the crates from them.

Bacon likes this.
  17. Bacon

Bacon Well-Known Member

Playing Project mayhem on my computer
    Home Page:
    i think they should be a held item, like if you dont use them, you get some cookies for keeping them until the end

18. Valoured

Valoured Member

I agree, newer players have absolutely no chance at getting these crates. Only more experienced players, whether or not they are higher level, will know pretty much every map inside and out. This should be a fair game crate

Rockin likes this.
  19. Plxz

Plxz New Member

Playing MCI
    I like it

Nitromaniac likes this.