1. Hello Guest!

Please take a moment to review our updated forum rules before continuing to use this site. If you have any issues or feedback, please private message mattrick or Soup so we can discuss.

Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Important NEW Player Goal Feature

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by maxben34, Aug 18, 2017.

1. maxben34

maxben34 Owner Owner Developer

Hi Mayhemians,

Does anybody remember the old days where I would say "if we can get 55 players on MCI in the next 30 minutes there will be x5 cookies!". It worked really well in helping us grow our player count and it made the game interesting and exciting as there was a fun side challenge to complete in addition to MCInfected.

We've created a system to automate this process. It's called "Player Goals" and provides a new way to get exciting cookie multipliers for MCInfected 2.0.

[​IMG]

Here's how it works:

Every 30 minutes a new player goal is set based on the current player count of the server (the minimum goal is 30, as of right now). If the player count across all MCInfected 2.0 servers reaches this goal within 30 minutes, a new goal will be set to be completed in the next 30 minutes and there will be x5 cookies in the next round of MCI! If the goal isn't reached in 30 minutes, a new goal will be set.

Jackson, the staff team, and myself are really excited to release this system. We hope you guys take advantage of the opportunity to get x5 cookies and help grow the server in the process. Get your friends online, get them to get their friends online, and so on (remember, you can use the /thank command for referring new players to the server!)

If this system works well in improving our player count and growing the server, we'll be adding it to some of our other games (like Search and Destroy).

This is just one of the many things that we have planned to help revitalize Project Mayhem and we hope you're as excited for this as we are.

Check out the new Player Goal feature, it's now live on MCInfected 2.0.

Note: We plan on tweaking this system to make sure that goals are attainable and worthwhile to complete. All current values (goal values, minimum goal values, time limits etc.) are subject to change based on analysis and system use. If things seem too difficult to complete, we plan on adjusting it so there's a better user experience. We think these starting values should work pretty well though.

Enjoy! :)

-maxben34

2. pistolsteven

pistolsteven The Forehead

Thank you for adding this. This brings back so many memories. I hope this will get more people on during the day.

3. Masteraj12

Masteraj12 (☞゚ヮ゚)☞Sr. Moderatoror☜(゚ヮ゚☜) Sr. Mod

I can say this was pretty successful:[​IMG]

TheStalePvP, Jimme and pistolsteven like this.
  4. Keldricc

Keldricc Well-Known Member

Professional block game bowspammer
    Home Page:
    Baseball with the Snapchat advertising to get people on

5. Draconium

Draconium Well-Known Member

Professional minecwaft pwayer
    Oh man I am hyped!

6. Claw

Claw Active Member

It's been really successful so far, we almost reached 55 players. Love to see old and new players come on for this new update, hopefully this will attempt to make a sustainable player base. We'll see. :p

Jimme, ImWithSmart and CommanderBox like this.
  7. ImWithSmart

ImWithSmart ImWithMod Moderator

That One Guy Who Likes To Explore The Lobby & Mod
    Roaming Discord And The Wastes Of The Build Server
    Home Page:
    At first I thought that the fact that this happened every 1/2 hour was too short a time span, but now that I've actually played a decent amount of rounds with this feature I think that it can't better in that aspect. I still have my pros and cons though. I know it's only a day old, and the fact that it got 52 players on today (which I missed :() has blown me away beyond words. It has me super hyped and excited for the future of the server in general. However, nothing's perfect, and that's why I'm writing this post.

Pros of the new feature:
    -As exemplified today, this feature not only has the power to just increase the player count by a little, but has blown all expectations out of the water, which is amazing. Words can not express the thanks I owe the staff team for creating this.

-This is slightly related to the first pro, but it brings back old players. I have noticed multiple people saying on TeamSpeak and forums that they were glad to see older players come back because of higher player count, which obviously in turn brings back more and more and attracts more new players all at the same time. I can't give examples of any older players who returned for the day as I haven't heard or seen anyone mentioned specifically, but all the same, pretty awesome.

Cons of the new feature:
    -It may not create a necessarily stable player base. When the goal is neared (which has been met with decent consistency so at the moment it's not a problem), people may just bring on their alts, which while helpful at that point in time, may not be so great in the future. Imagine a month from now. Do you still care about meeting the goal as much as you do now? You have the exact same amount of excitement when you come within 5 or 10 players? What if no one on TeamSpeak can or is willing to come on? What then? Bring on alts that fill up player space (just like the other thing, not an issue at the moment, but we did get near 55 players) and block out new players that get frustrated and either have to spend money that they don't want to spend or leave? Fake player counts/player bases may seem harmless, but they can cause issues that no one wants.

-This is the only technical issue of the bunch and the one that I think ben and jackson should pay attention to the most. Let's say it's a Saturday afternoon, and you've just hit the player goal (30, a perfectly reasonable amount of players). You get in the game, and what do you see in chat? "If you can get 22 more players on in the next 30 minutes, x5 cookies will be activated for a round" (not accurate but accurate enough to make my point). So, we just went from 30, a reasonable amount, to 52, something that happens every other blue moon, in essence. Like I said, this feature is amazing at bringing in players, but I think that the increments at which the player goal increases should be lowered (say, 4-8 players more each time). That way, it might get hit every round or every other round, which slowly brings in more players, who hit the goal yet again, and it brings in more players, continuing the loop. Going up 22 players, everyone's going to say, "Yep, pack it up boys. That's it for the day, we're not hitting that." Then you have to wait 30 minutes for this crazy high goal to go back down, but not everyone is going to want to get on every half hour, play a few rounds and hop off because of an goal such as this/they get bored. Then MCI just becomes a waiting game of waiting to see the new goal.

Any and all criticism is welcome, be it constructive please, and I hope you read through all of this post.

Thanks for your time,
    ImWithSmart

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Luke, Masteraj12 and Frogged like this.
  8. maxben34

I agree with you in that setting the goal too high can ruin the point of the system. It's something we're keeping an eye on. We're trying to make the goal as high as possible while making it seem attainable enough that people try to work towards it. To figure this out, we'll be doing some analysis which I'll try to publish publicly (if it seems appropriate to). However, this analysis will take a few weeks to do since we need to be able to collect the data.

I'm really glad you're happy with the system overall. I think that it's a step in the right direction and I'm looking forward to how it works in both the short term and long term.

mocharaven, Jimme and ImWithSmart like this.
  9. TeamPurple

TeamPurple The Purpatraitor (Mod)

You can find me MCI_and_Chilling
    I wish to see it in action but currently I don't think this is achievable for the AU Timezone so far both days have been 40 and 30 which I barely have seen even when the server was popular.

Though this being said I have noticed more players on through the NA Timezone.

ImWithSmart likes this.
  10. Buddysai1

Buddysai1 New Member

When jackson accidentally did x2016 cookies lmao

ImWithSmart and maxben34 like this.
  11. lobster

lobster Well-Known Member Builder

League Of Legends
    And I missed out on this ?-!?!?!?

12. MadPanda007

MadPanda007 Well-Known Member

non donor life and saras pet panda
    In Saracresps back yard trimming her bamboo
    Home Page:
    Can say pretty easy to abuse for people who have a crap ton of alts

13. maxben34

I don't believe it's really that easy to abuse with alts. We're keeping an eye on it through analytics, staff have also been told to keep on the lookout for alts to spoof the player goal count and punish accordingly

CommanderBox and Vickebyggare like this.
  14. Omko7676

Omko7676 Well-Known Member

OLD PLAYER AND NEW PLAYER ;-)
    I dont think the player count is gonna be more beacuse there is a so much player they are like 14+ and everyday one of them thinks minecraft is for kids