1. Hello Guest!

Please take a moment to review our updated forum rules before continuing to use this site. If you have any issues or feedback, please private message mattrick or Soup so we can discuss.

Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Stop the memes please (Or just reduce the current meme intake by around 90%)

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by Rod337, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Rod337

Rod337 Well-Known Member

Squids cleaning lady
    Home Page:
    I haven't been here for a year, and while I do remember the offtopic section being full of memes, I don't remember it being 9 out of 10 threads. Even though some of them are funny, its kind of lame that the section that used to be used for genuine discussions has turned into imgur. Seriously, make more interesting posts if you can : )

Or make a project mayhem discord and stick them in there. Offtopic section used to be my favorite.

Also I'd like to point out that the only section for threads with new posts out of the Gamemodes is mci
    [​IMG]

Hoozier and MutatedGrape like this.
  2. MutatedGrape

MutatedGrape Well-Known Member

Finding humor
    Well if there hasn't been a post for any other gamemodes for the past year that probably means there hasn't been any games played for other any gamemodes for the past year either,

with the exception of SnD.

mocharaven and Wack_Attack like this.
  3. ImWithSmart

ImWithSmart ImWithMod Moderator

That One Guy Who Likes To Explore The Lobby & Mod
    Home Page:
    I do sometimes play arsenal with other people. There are usually several people who, at some point during the day, join the server looking for a game of Arsenal, but don't find one because no one plays it. I'm grateful when there are people on though because I highly enjoy this gamemode. It has high potential, however, it is not looked at too often because of reasons stated prior.

It doesn't even necessarily require hours and hours of work, it just needs 1 or 2 solid updates that bring balance to the gamemode, as well as adding items that make the game a ton of fun to play without breaking it for higher level players. Even if it isn't played regularly, it can still be a gamemode people turn to when they're bored of other gamemodes on PM or other servers.

This is getting extremely offtopic, so I'm going to go ahead and steer this back towards the intended conversation.

Concerning the offtopic section, it was invented for, in a relative sense, a larger community. If you look at the section back 4,5,6 pages, it's filled with different people posting what they have on their mind, what's troubling them, etc. Memes, if you look are also there. They're still posted at roughly the same rate, but everyone who posted what was on their mind, etc. have left the server. They are gone, either for good or just a little while. The space between the meme posts used to be filled with a bunch of different stuff that people could have conversations about, but since that isn't there, all that's left are the regular memes, along with people who like to comment on the super popular threads from long long ago that are still alive to this day.

In addition, those who are still active players just enjoy having a conversation over TeamSpeak with each other instead of typing something out. It's quicker, and it holds the same emotional value as, say, actually calling someone up on the phone just to talk. Not everyone had TeamSpeak and those who preferred not to talk to others real-time came to Offtopic.

It can also be argued that the reason the people who are still active today are active because they have TeamSpeak. For those who didn't have it or couldn't have it, I'm sure it was monotonous for them to type at length just to get a simple point across, then having to hang onto forums for up to a 1/2 hour for a response that might not come, is downright degrading, or is not the one that they were looking for. People who only had access to the forums besides the server itself for socializing most likely perceived the community for what it is simply not. They either got bored of forums or just didn't enjoy it, and this affected how they viewed the server itself, leading to their departure. Also, everything that was on the forums got spread by word of mouth on TeamSpeak, so those who had TeamSpeak had quicker access to stuff that was in the moment and that was relevant. Something cool or funny would have gotten lost in the flood of other posts on forums, and you might not catch it until a couple days later, and by then no one cares and, no matter how big or small it affects you, there is that twinge of annoyance and sadness that you missed out on the cool things that were taking place.

The situations ascribed above only offer one effective solution: constant, daily activity on the forums that interfered with their daily lives. They realized this and had to give up coming on the forums, but then again you're missing out, so you must be daily. It is a nasty cycle. They probably had to give up the server altogether to avoid the need to come on the forums. There are those who complain that all they had to do was monitor their time and manage it accordingly, but some people just can't do that, including me. Indeed, I'm supposed to be finishing up a book review at the moment, and instead, I'm on the forums. Forums are my only connection to the server when I'm away, and there were many who felt the same way. Maybe they tried TeamSpeak and were shouted down because they were new and annoying, but that's just because they don't know how to act. Of course they don't, it's their first time.

Anyway, I should get back to the book review. Thanks for reading :).
    -ImWithSmart

Warning: It is pointless to continue as the rest of this post is basically repeating what many have said for years. If you still want to read, that's fine, but realize you're posting on something that many have heard so many times they really don't care about it and don't want to hear it again.
    Note: It was going to go at the end of the last paragraph, but I took it out and put it at the end of this post for the reason I just stated.

I
    I
    I
    V

So, in due course, many left because they didn't enjoy their time. This happens to many servers including Hypixel, but they have such a large player base, they can sustain the damage. We couldn't because we had about a 500-600 player base at a maximum at any given point on the server. In addition, we only had 3-4 videos from Jerome, one of the biggest Minecraft YouTubers at that point, which supplied that player base. Those who left were just playing because he was playing. Then there were those who liked it, but were new, and highly annoyed the experienced players and were confused on how to play and died all the time, and then they left. All that was left were experienced players, who liked the server, but fell victim to the sands of time, and found new interests or grew up.

mocharaven, Rod337 and HaleStorm like this.
  4. CREEPER__1

CREEPER__1 Well-Known Member

Meme Expert
    I feel like I caused this

XrayGodzilla, Agent40, Jinxy and 7 others like this.
  5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I’m trying
    The memes are the only thing keeping me here, don't take them away

Jordan, Agent40, Bacon and 4 others like this.
  6. Rod337

Rod337 Well-Known Member

Squids cleaning lady
    Home Page:
    Partly, although you seem to contain all your memes in one big thread which is easy to appreciate. A year ago there were more offtopic threads like Imwithsmart mentioned, and now its just all memes.

I suggest a discord server anyways. Its like a forum and teamspeak in one. This is the only community I know that still uses teamspeak. And with the addition of a discord server, the perhaps the forums would become more about bugs, updates, forum games, and gamemode related queries. (Which is what some mods seemed to want if I remember correctly before I left.)

The way discord manages voice calls is very similar to teamspeak, with channels you can join and leave. Furthermore teamspeak offers custom server ranks with permissions you grant it (theres no default "mod" that gives the mod powers to do xyz, but you can make a rank called mod that lets mods do only xy maybe). And text channels are easy to moderate, since you can invite server bots that automatically kick spammers and other useful things like that (for free).

I think moving to discord would be worthwhile. It offers exactly what teamspeak offers, with many added bonuses.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  7. Hoozier

Hoozier Well-Known Member

I'm a very literal person and the memes that are posted give me a laugh.

Not at the individual meme, but the fact that so many people enjoy them... they just aren't for me. I'd enjoy different posts more often

Bilbocable and Rod337 like this.
  8. ImWithSmart

ImWithSmart ImWithMod Moderator

That One Guy Who Likes To Explore The Lobby & Mod
    Home Page:
    Yes, as you say, there are many bonuses. However, many people have TeamSpeak and have grown used to it or don’t have discord. You can’t have both as that risks splitting the community into smaller groups which dissolve. Ben I know has also gone into detail about why having a discord is more of a negative. I can’t think of any threads at the moment where he’s posted this, but I’ll find one and edit.

9. Rod337

Rod337 Well-Known Member

Squids cleaning lady
    Home Page:
    Ideally TeamSpeak should be replaced by Discord. (Warning, opinions approaching.) Discord is much more user friendly, and honestly, 12 year olds now a day have never heard of TeamSpeak. And this isn't me bashing minecraft, its just the truth, you're marketing towards a younger audience, and in order to do that, you need to use the platforms they understand. Sure if you've been using TeamSpeak for a long time, it would be a strange new program, but there are so many similarities between TeamSpeak and Discord, I think the regular TeamSpeak users would get used to Discord relatively quickly.

I got discord a year ago because a steam group I was in had one, and now I use it daily. It's easy to hop in between communities, and isolating the PM community to TeamSpeak makes it harder for new players to join in. It's like how I had to make an origin account just to play garden warfare. I use steam for everything, but this one game I like is on this other platform, and it becomes a nuisance to have to switch between them for that one game.

TeamSpeak can be kind of scary. Took me a while to actually talk in TeamSpeak, Discord on the other hand seems to make servers easier to jump into, since you can read what everyone has been talking about, and you can just message people if you don't feel like talking. Discords addition of a "general" chat makes it easier for people to ease in to a community. And the fact that discords chats are the kind that you can read from anywhere, (Unlike the chats of TeamSpeak that require you to join, and only let you read the messages delivered while you are connected.) promote more worthwhile conversations, and eliminate part of the imposing nature of TeamSpeak.

Hoozier and Ammaranthine like this.
  10. maxben34

maxben34 Owner Owner Developer

I like discord as a platform. I think there is a place for discord but I don't like how it seems that the voice chat aspect of discord is somewhat of an afterthought and is often treated that way. A program like teamspeak's purpose is to encourage voice chats between large groups of people. Discord's purpose isn't exactly voice conversations.

I could see us eventually making the switch in the future but I firmly believe that teamspeak is the best platform for the kinds of community engagement that we want to encourage.

baseballaholic22 likes this.
  11. Who am I

Who am I Member

@maxben34 don’t ever switch to discord voice. Discord is a great way for chats to occur or for someone to tag admins if they need to get on. I say make a discord for chat only because teamspeak is way better for voice discord is just good for chats.

12. lobster

lobster Well-Known Member Builder

League Of Legends
    Discord has its benefits but at the same time so does Teamspeak, the majority of the community prefer it rather than discord at the current moment. so It's better to stick with Teamspeak for now

(how tf did this thread go so off topic)

13. Hoozier

Hoozier Well-Known Member

I'll go make a program called TeamDiscord... It'll combine the two :D

Nah but I like discord better

14. Rod337

Rod337 Well-Known Member

Squids cleaning lady
    Home Page:
    Having both would split the community.
    Discord can support around 12 people in a chat at once it seems. (In my experience) Usually gets a little slow when there are more people, but at that point, everyone is just shouting over each other. Discord is still relatively new (2 years old or so), and I believe it will better with time (the developers are quite active). TeamSpeak has been around for longer (over 15 years), so it's been refined I guess. But I'm glad you're open to the option of moving to Discord.
    Sure the community prefers TeamSpeak at the moment, but like I mentioned, it's a lot easier for new players to get into a Discord server, and I doubt we would lose many players if we switch. Remember that for something to grow, you can't keep pleasing the crowd that already like it. It is important to keep your fans happy, but you can't grow without change.

Also the thread hasn't gotten offtopic, I suggested a Discord in the original post. Although that wasn't the main focus, I'm glad I started this discussion.

15. Who am I

Who am I Member

Having both doesn’t split a community I know of one that has both and it doesn’t split the community at all because there is no voice on the discord they made so everybody uses teamspeak still

16. maxben34

maxben34 Owner Owner Developer

The point is I wouldn't want to have discord if it isn't being used as a platform for voice.

ImWithSmart and Masteraj12 like this.
  17. YellowTehMinerz

YellowTehMinerz Active Member

Doing things
    Discord has is advantages however you would have to create a lot of voice channels to support the amount of people that we sometimes get on TeamSpeak (In one room) you would also have to create a lot of voice channels meaning it becomes harder to see who is where and what is going on.

18. Rod337

Rod337 Well-Known Member

Squids cleaning lady
    Home Page:
    There's no maximum. Also nobody fills up each voice channel anyways. You have to scroll up and down to see all the voice channels In TeamSpeak anyways.

I'd also like to point out that sending alerts through discords would work great, and having the mods on discord would make them easier to contact since Discord runs in the background of your computer, and there's a handy phone app for when you aren't at your computer.

I feel like the discord spokesperson, but I feel like it would be a worthwhile switch.

Have you ever used discord? It offers voice, video, and text that supports images and gifs the don't download on to your computer like how Skype does because Skype is stupid.

Yep definitely a spokesperson.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017