1. Hello Guest!

Please take a moment to review our updated forum rules before continuing to use this site. If you have any issues or feedback, please private message mattrick or Soup so we can discuss.

Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Toggle Chat Filter

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Hypris, Oct 7, 2018.

?

Add?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    81.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Hypris

Hypris Well-Known Member Wiki Team

Just Mt.Dewwing it
    Suggestion name: Toggle Chat Filter

What gamemode is it for:
    Global

What does your suggestion do:
    Add a toggle to chat filter in settings.

Pros of your suggestion:
    Lets people be more open about their speech, prevents bypass.

Cons of your suggestion:
    None

Example of how it could look in game:
    Toggle in settings

Other information:
    None

Jinxy, Timelord_Ryan, Nick and 5 others like this.
  2. MineButcher

MineButcher Well-Known Member

Increasing Forum activites
    Home Page:
    can we also add death messages toggle?

3. KingDuder

KingDuder Well-Known Member

Tryharding a block game.
  4. CommanderBox

CommanderBox ☮ Senior Peacekeeper Mod ☮ Sr. Mod

Killing with Kindness
    Not to be the party pooper of this suggestion, but I thought I'd leave my thoughts.

In a perfect world this would work, I wish it would work, really... However, MCI is not rated 18+ - MCI is not Call of Duty - It's just based off the infected Gamemode from Call of Duty.

By making the chat filter togglable, you're partially removing the chat filter. Any repercussions that come with removing the chat filter apply here because it becomes a choice. That includes creating new rules to coincide with the removed filter. Questions need to be asked like: How much cursing is too much cursing? Is it actually possible to code this togglable filter? Ect.

Just based off logic alone, "Making the chat filter togglable" (partially removing the chat filter) would not be easily feasible. (I get it, maybe we're all mature individuals who don't mind cursing) But our server is not rated M - Minecraft is not rated M - Kids play our server and we can't do that, I'm sorry but it's the truth. We're not going to grow a playerbase off of a chat full of drunken sailors who decided cursing is the new norm, cause we made the filter togglable.

"But CommanderBox!" You may be asking: "Won't the little kids playing just keep the filter on? problem solved?" "Doesn't that make staff members jobs easier?"

No, actually it makes Staff Members jobs harder, or more complicated. The kids who have the filter on can still be bypassed through, thus making bypassing the filter still against the rules. With this in mind, all staff members would have to play with the filter ON, watching for anyone who purposefully or accidentally bypassed the filter. With a filter togglable, more people would be cursing, making mistakes more common(stuff like fuuck <-- That's a bypass), making punishments more common, making staff do more work and players getting punished more often.

In this new world with a new filter, staff do more work, players get punished/warned more often, and we lose younger players more often. Because they'll either feel uncomfortable, or their parents will get angry seeing a chat full of profanity by chance they decided to keep the filter off.

I see little benefit to such a world. And in the end, it's just a couple of stars in front of your words guys. Is it really that big of a big deal? You know what you're saying. Most of the time others know what you're saying - Why go through all this trouble?

MutatedGrape, ImWithSmart and Jordan like this.
  5. Turtleguy2018

Turtleguy2018 Well-Known Member

Gas Station Owner
    You should just ask for their bank account number, their mothers maiden name, and the street they grew up on. Just to verify they're 18 and can turn the filter off.

6. MutatedGrape

MutatedGrape Well-Known Member

Finding humor
    Honestly if it becomes toggleable there won't be much of a thing for a chat filter since a lot of players toggle it on just to fully understand what someone's saying.

7. MineButcher

Home Page:
    Look at you bringing your logic, we all know thats not how the world works ^^

CommanderBox likes this.
  8. MutatedGrape

MutatedGrape Well-Known Member

Finding humor
    Just commenting on @CommanderBox's stuff, I don't think it'll make staff's jobs as hard as he makes it to be, you have to make sure everyone spells the words correctly, which isn't much change since almost all curse words have to exactly be spelled correctly for it to be filtered as it is right now (even typing "*f(u)k*" won't filter it out). It's very simple to see what's going to be filtered, so staff would be able to play with the filter off, and I don't think this will be as big of a problem.

But Box did mention that it's still a Minecraft Server, that's where it hits. If there are new players then most of the player count should include players who don't take in much of it. But it would be different if Project Mayhem wasn't in a game like Minecraft.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 at 10:51 PM
    CommanderBox likes this.
  9. MineButcher

Home Page:
    just uncensor grape and bastard and leave the rest as it is