1. Hello Guest!

Please take a moment to review our updated forum rules before continuing to use this site. If you have any issues or feedback, please private message mattrick or Soup so we can discuss.

Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

We need a better way to deal with hackers

Discussion in 'Arsenal 2.0 Beta Discussion' started by Tactical_Rnbm, Jan 7, 2016.

1. PapaSkid

PapaSkid Well-Known Member

Quinn Top lane
    I'd just like to inform you that most American staff are on the same/more hours than any EU staff.

We lack AU/NZ staff.

*cough* Josh

2. WubWubMeow

WubWubMeow ⚔♛Queen's Guard♛⚔

Baking
    @OhhMage less staff in the busiest period will certainly not help the situation. That is why there are numerous American / Canadian mods. A member of staff's position can change whenever, they are normal, we have school, work, family, pets - situations that we cannot predict at the point of writing an application. I guarantee no staff has fulfilled the hours on their application every day, it's impossible.
    Yes, it is our 'job', but it is voluntary. Thinking of it as a job will not help the situation. We do not receive any payment or whatever for our hours we spend moderating. What drives a staff member to continue is, especially at times like this when there are (understandably) a lack of updates, is the community. Berating a staff and accusing them of being lazy or whatever does not encourage them to feel welcomed in the community.
    It is aggravating, I am more than aware of the fact, to be online when there is no staff. It is a problem we as a community need to solve together, not just patch in an instant. Whereby this be promoting more carefully vetted staff, to anti-cheats to whatever. Going on and on and on at staff is not the solution. We are aware this is an issue and one that we are working on it.
    Being the sole moderator online for 200+ players is a difficult task that I and others have had to fulfil multiple times - it is difficult and stressful. Being online for hours moderating becomes dull and monotonous, sometimes playing recreationally whereby on Project Mayhem or other servers offers relief to staff.
    Hopefully @maxben34 can set up a staff meeting in which the main topic of discussion will be solving these qualms. We do want to improve your experience on Project Mayhem.

I hope that post made some sense and represents my view on the subject.

teegah, Garth, Carro and 2 others like this.
  3. XrayGodzilla

XrayGodzilla Well-Known Member

Like you said amercan timezones are also on in europe timezones either way for europe timezones are mostly on in AU/NZ timezones

4. Bilbocable

Bilbocable ☃ Hobbit Mod ☃ Going On An Adventure ☃ Moderator

Being on an adventure.
    Home Page:
    I'd like to point out that this is only true in weekends, because on weekdays americans would have to get out of school and immediately get behind their pcs and then they can experience the EU people for like 1 hour until they have to go sleeping. So basically, #ModForWeekDay?

5. TeamPurple

TeamPurple The Purpatraitor (Mod)

You can find me MCI_and_Chilling
    I think the same but look at Josh's profile he said he's practically leaving depending on the factions.

6. Carro

Carro Active Member Wiki Team

Home Page:
    Keeping it short because my round starts in like 30 minutes and extemp prep just started so I'm freaking out because I didn't do enough prep on handguns

What's the job of staff? To mediate issues either through, well, mediation, or punishments and such. If issues are arising that cannot be solved because of this supposed lack of staff, I personally have not recognized them. Yeah, sure, there are some times when staff isn't on but is that really such a big deal? Even with more staff on, it's almost impossible to achieve this goal of having staff on all the time, and if you do achieve that goal then you probably have an issue with overstaffing. Thus, more staff wouldn't cause any immediate harm but the benefits of appointing more is also pretty questionable.
    Moving on, the issue of staff members in TeamSpeak but not online..
    Why is that an issue? Seriously, these people give up tons of their time and effort to try to create a better environment on the server, and they're not allowed to have fun? If a staff member is busy, they should be treated as if they are offline. If they are excessively "offline", that's a different issue. It's to your benefit that people like Kendyy, Ana, Garth, etc. stay on TeamSpeak and are available to be poked and notified. Also, bringing up timezones is silly because as far as I can tell, there's basically an even balance of US vs UK vs AU mods, not to mention that the US spans over 4 timezones and the coasts should be considered different regions anyways.
    Eyy, rounds are posted bye

7. OhhMage

OhhMage Member

@PapaSkid
    It's not about the amount of hours, even one hour or two are enough, it's about the timezone. Please re-read my comments before commenting yourself.
    @WubWubMeow
    I never said you guys are lazy and/or ditching your (let's call it position for the sake of the discussion) position, I said that you guys shouldn't be motivated by new content. You are correct- We the community are the thing which should drive you, and I totally disagree with all those who attack you, although I can understand why are they doing it.
    I didn't call for demoting staff. 2-3 hours a day (or if you are really busy, I am not going to judge you 1 hour or two) is a rational demand for someone in your position, in my opinion.
    I hope I made my own point of view clear on the matter.

8. PapaSkid

PapaSkid Well-Known Member

Quinn Top lane
    @OhhMage you're not understanding... If NA mods are on the same time as EU mods than we're technically covering their timezones.

9. OhhMage

OhhMage Member

@PapaSkid the thing is that they are hardly on EU time..

10. XrayGodzilla

XrayGodzilla Well-Known Member

they are always in ts tho you can just poke them if you need help @anastasialicia <--- one of them or @Kendyy

11. maxben34

maxben34 Owner Owner Developer

I think it's important to point out that we created a forum category called "Staff Archives" for every time a player is banned for breaking one of our rules. This forum section has gotten over 1,100 posts in it since November 15th.

12. nexgenhatred

nexgenhatred Guest

Oh but hey, I think I, a casual player would be a good staff member! I want to be staff, trust me, I'm different! I'll ban people and everything!

13. ITZHARRYPOTTER

ITZHARRYPOTTER Active Member

14. psandoval19

psandoval19 Member

loser
    Being a staff member is a high-demand position. There seems to be a need for more, a need for those who aren't doing it and a need for performing what they've signed up for. Not only do you have to be suited for the initial issue that you've signed up for- moderating and maintaining the server's friendly environment, you have to be prepared for certain people that come across your way. A staff position on a minecraft server is a lot like retail. When working retail, you have specific jobs but you also have to somewhat be a "people's person" and slap a smile on your face despite the urge to slap the customers. There will be a constant pit of necessity that will never be satisfied, but these pits are scattered about. Whether they demand more staff, less staff or less issues altogether.

Granted, there are solutions to this "major issue" that we've been encountering. There have been "fill-ins" for those missing mods, plenty of availability of mods found on the teamspeak, and the addition of the "@" thing in-game. What the staff lacks is that instant-gratification. With these solutions, players want hackers gone as fast as they cry for help. Because of things, such as life, there's obstacles to catering to those, which causes frustration when these people are impatient. It's important to understand there are factors that prevent this instant clean-up, which is probably the biggest problem of the community.

However, staff members should also be aware that even though, yes, this is voluntary work and isn't on the top of the priority list, which is completely understandable by some, if not most people on this thread, but there is still a reason that should be in the mind of a staff member. Being a staff member is voluntary, but who volunteered for such work? There are different motives for applying, such as "no one can moderate better than me" (I highly doubt that was a motive, but it is possible) or "I want to help out as much as I can" (which is typically the original intention). The mindset of this is influenced once the job is given. It's not rewarding, it's demanding and sucks the fun out of the game. So, congrats to those that have stuck with it for so long, but there's still the idea of "you signed up for it" which can be a real pain in the ass for the staff.

Though the whole "moderate for content" thing should not be the bait at the end of the fishing pole. It's like a teacher saying to their students "I only need one student to pass my class" versus "You all will pass my class." If keeping a moderator on the server is purely through content, then, sorry to say, that's a pretty pathetic moderator. The fact that s/he will only stick around for the game, rather than the community. It could mean one of two things: the moderator is not a people's person or the community is so toxic it literally works as a repellent for a "once eager" moderator.

I agree, insta-staff isn't necessarily the best way to solve the problem, but neither is the "stay for updates."
    It's a two-way partnership, staff and community, and ways to a better server could occur if the correct group takes the right steps.
    Community:
    -Be patient (yes, we know it's no longer fun when hackers come about but we can only expect so much instant gratification)
    -Understand the demands of a moderator (200 players to 16 staff members is a lot of work for each, not to mention they aren't all on at the same time)
    -Know this server is not everyone's main priority (There's a great thing called life, but sometimes life happens and just gets in the way)
    Staff:
    -Be patient (there's not a helping anti-cheat or enough staff to relieve the stress of moderating, but don't give up on us now) D:
    -Have a stronger reason to stay, rather than just content (if that's all you're here for, that's all we're here for)
    -Know that you volunteered for this (yes, you can hide behind that because it gets so demanding and there's a lot of unnecessary crap that doesn't have to be here, but there are specific tasks that you volunteered to do)

I created these suggestions as possible ways to better ourselves as a community in a whole, rather than am commanding y'all to do so as some of you may disagree with what I believe is our best option for the time being. That's fine, but we should also keep an open mind as there are too many holes to fill in with just one solution.

Nick, XrayGodzilla, Kendyy and 4 others like this.
  15. npeters96

npeters96 Member Builder

Stripper
    kewl

BritishBear likes this.
  16. OhhMage

OhhMage Member

Tl;Dr pl0x?

17. ITZHARRYPOTTER

ITZHARRYPOTTER Active Member

I would be staff but joke appeals are just better because I rather play and enjoy the game but I can't because half the time mods are on fucking hypixel so no hackers get banned because nobody wants to record and I try but my program is gay AF

AgentSmith10 likes this.
  18. Bilbocable

Bilbocable ☃ Hobbit Mod ☃ Going On An Adventure ☃ Moderator

Being on an adventure.
    Home Page:
    @maxben34 you might want to bring out your essay again. (I'm serious)

TheStalePvP likes this.
  19. maxben34

maxben34 Owner Owner Developer

I've spoke to the staff team recently about this. As long as there is a person on the server to moderate, there shouldn't be a problem. Generally, there's always more than one anyways.

You did just use the word gay inappropriately, which I wouldn't call people out for normally, but considering I discussed that on this thread already, you should go back and take a look at my post.

20. Pokemaniac

Pokemaniac Well-Known Member Wiki Team Builder

Builder / Wiki Staff
    Home Page:
    I know I haven't shared my opinion on this thread since a while, but there are many times where there are no moderators. Hackers work all hours of the day. The time periods I have been on before 9 or 10 AM EST on weekends, there are no staff on. And yes, most other times there is always a staff on, but afk staff are just as useless as the one's that aren't playing on the server.