1. Hello Guest!

Please take a moment to review our updated forum rules before continuing to use this site. If you have any issues or feedback, please private message mattrick or Soup so we can discuss.

Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Why the server will not grow/Justification for a Reset

Discussion in 'MCInfected 2.0 Discussion' started by mmo, Jul 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmo

mmo Well-Known Member

Sorry you can hear my breathing a tiny bit, and I kind of stumbled on my words near the end. I didn't mention the topic of a reset in the video, but this goes hand in hand with my argument for it.

2. Frogged

Frogged Well-Known Member

Can we have a transcript I kinda don't wanna watch and listen

3. mmo

mmo Well-Known Member

I actually made it a video so it'd be easier to understand, but yeah, I'll edit this post with a transcription.

"Alright, I want to talk today about why the server is declining at an unsustainable rate and why new players aren't staying. So, I've mentioned this before on the forums on previous threads, but I am a strong believer that it has gotten to the point where the server is so bloated with features that it favors the older players, and puts even a heavier disadvantage on the newer players. When you're new to the server, you're gonna be disadvantaged, you're not gonna be the best. That's a given for any game. Ever. And that's how it was in MCI 1.0. But at the point that Project Mayhem is at right now with MCInfected 2.0, it's at a much worse extent. Let's talk about all the features zombies have now, what Ben basically did is he took humans and buffed the shit out of them, and he did the same for zombies, and that's fine, but you can't forget that rank one, rank one through five, one through ten, whatever the hell, it's still going to be the same for new players, it's still going to be how it always was. You can't buff that much, can you? So you've got the newer players that are joining, and they're just getting the shit beaten out of them, they've got zombies throwing grenades at them, perks that blind them and set them on fire, they don't know what the hell is going on. These are the same ranks that it was in MCInfected 1.0 with the old zombies, and they don't have this stuff, and it was okay. They [the newer players] could play and at least somewhat hold their own. I would bitch to people in the server about 'aw, new zombies are so OP, they have grenades, they can blind you and shit', and people would respond 'get blast shield, get tomohawks, humans are so buff', but if you're a new player, that's not an option. What are you gonna buy blast shield just 'cause you're sick of getting naded by zombies? You're gonna waste your precious prestige token that you've worked so hard for? That brings me to another point where the value of the prestige token has declined so much, it's honestly pathetic. You know, in the old server, you get these guys, the highest prestige is what, prestige 20? JoshBarnett94 at the top of the leaderboards, you got people like 'I wanna be this guy!', they're prestige 5 or whatever, saving their tokens and spending them. Now you got guys, CommanderBox, Prestige 100, you've got master prestige tokens. I don't even know what's going on with that. The value of it has declined so much, it's like people spend the perks on whatever, it doesn't even matter. And they'll add new perks to combat the new perks [for zombies] they put in, and it gets to the point where the older players are fine, they don't bitch about the buffs that zombies get because they have the tools to combat it. But the newer players? They're fucked. They join with their leather armor, go against a wolf or something, thinking 'I'm gonna kill this guy'. No, you're blind now. They go against a regular zombie with zDemo 'oh here's a regular zombie, I can kill this guy'. Nope, you're on fire now. What? And then they're a zombie, just trying to kill a human, and they get set on fire, exploded by fire mind, 13 grenades thrown at them, knockback grenades and whatnot, they get launched 20 feet in the air and they don't know what the fuck is going on, it's unplayable. That's why the game is not fun anymore for people that aren't invested in it. Look at right now [tabs the scoreboard]. Look at how many people are donators. Look how many people are high prestiges on the server, because these are the people that are invested in it. The game is fun for them. If you're not invested, it's not fun, and it's not playable.

This is a suuuuper rough transcription and reads poorly, you're honestly better off just watching the video.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Frogged likes this.
  4. Frogged

Frogged Well-Known Member

Thanks!!! lol

mmo likes this.
  5. Hoozier

Hoozier Well-Known Member

At the expense of what? You really think every long term player will be happy that a reset is happening, people who spent the past two years of their life grinding every day to attempt and become the best. I agree that it is a problem, but it is tricky because if you do this, I guarantee half our population will leave. For a server that is so small right now, I don't think we need even less players.

But on the flip side of this argument, a reset may create enough room for growth, but the same question arises... At the expense of what

6. Justin L

Justin L Member

Just Going to School xD
    When I joined MC Infected people were stacked already and how I survived and won I'd follow Commanders to Water/Latter Spots to win. So maybe you should add those spots again so new players can win games.

kenzanatior9000 likes this.
  7. mmo

mmo Well-Known Member

I've been playing MCInfected for 5 years. I'm not oblivious to the expense.

When maxben34 opened up this server, there were many 1.0 players eager to play. Part of the reason for this was a fresh start.

What is your alternative?

Nick and chessgeek10 like this.
  8. Kendyy

Kendyy ★ Senior Moderator ★ Sr. Mod

Just finished watching.

I won't go into my opinion on this right now but thank you for putting in the time to record this and sharing yours. I will make sure all the other current staff members see this.

9. Justin L

Justin L Member

Just Going to School xD
    People Joined this server not for a fresh start but because their was no mci 1.0 anymore.

10. mmo

mmo Well-Known Member

Note how I phrased that, "Part of the reason". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure when Ben invited people to the Alpha of 2.0, MCI 1.0 was still a thing, just close to its end.

11. Justin L

Justin L Member

Just Going to School xD
    I'm really not sure if it came out after mci 1.0 was gone or a little before, I'd love to know though.

12. teegah

teegah Staff Manager Sr. Mod

+1 there should definitely be a reset

Bacon, Nick, MutatedGrape and 9 others like this.
  13. Justin L

Justin L Member

Just Going to School xD
    I don't like the idea of a stat reset but that's just my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Furiosus_ likes this.
  14. Bacon

Bacon Well-Known Member

Playing Project mayhem on my computer
    Home Page:
    there should be a reset, but only for stats, players should keep their ranks, because removing ranks could cause them to leave, i know i'd leave if i lost mayhem+. personally restarting as a noob again would be great and would make mci fun again, at least, for me it would.

Jimme and mmo like this.
  15. Claw

Claw Active Member

I'm almost 100% sure if they are going to reset mci, they won't remove ranks.

16. Hypris

Hypris Well-Known Member Wiki Team

Just Mt.Dewwing it
    I'm just saying that if you don't play on mci actively then I don't know if you should have as much opinion in the subject. Of course if you don't play anymore you're going to say "Yeah let's do a reset" but if you've been been playing actively for the past few months, then you're going to feel like it's just a waste of time. The whole idea of a reset doesn't please me because there are people who have put months into this game and to throw it all away isn't going to fix it. You would have to do a complete redo of the prestige system for this idea to work and even if they do reset, I'm sure a lot of players aren't going to be pleased with it. Ultimately I think this will cause a lot more problems for the server than it will help.

17. mmo

mmo Well-Known Member

Thanks a ton for sharing your opinion.

I actually disagree with the sentiment that a reset would ultimately be a "throw away" of what everyone did in MCI 2.0. Two and a half years so far, I think? That's a damn good run. Everyone has had a ton of fun, but nothing lasts forever. I can still say the names of the greats of players in 1.0. Their stats are gone, all their 'work' is gone, but it's far from forgotten. It was really fun while it lasted, and so was 2.0, but now that the players are declining, it's looking like time to restart the cycle again. It takes maturity as a player to accept that it comes to that sometimes. Don't forget it's all for fun.

I don't do this so much anymore, but I used to be huge on Pokemon games. I would sit there and play them for hours and hours, stacking my team, having a blast doing it. I would beat the Pokemon League, and think, well, what now? I love my team and all the work I put into this run, but I've reached a plateau. To be honest, the most fun part was hitting UP + SELECT + B and deleting my progress, going back to the drawing board, and dreaming up new ways to do it again.

Is there an alternative? That is the most important question that I can ask right now.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Claw likes this.
  18. Hypris

Hypris Well-Known Member Wiki Team

Just Mt.Dewwing it
    I see your side but still there is the problem. You're acting like a stats wipe would fix everything, but in a few months, people are going to be in the same place they are now (not the exact place, but will have quite a few prestige tokens). To change this, some kind of change to the prestige system would have to be made to make a real difference if a reset would be put into play.

19. Hoozier

Hoozier Well-Known Member

"It's time for a restart again", is the most opinionated response ever, but then you followed it up with "It takes maturity as a player to accept that it comes to that sometimes"... give me a break. Disagreement cannot translate into a lack of maturity and it seems like we are rat-holing the discussion. The transition from 1.0 to 2.0 was a forced wipe, not an optional wipe and in my opinion, if I saw a complete restart then I would find myself leaving. That does not mean I am immature, it means that logically I won't play on a service (That I have donated several hundred dollars towards) if all my stats will be wiped. That's basic knowledge, but @Hypris 's point was completely valid... The people who haven't spent the past two years actively grinding will naturally opt for a reset, and the people who have, will naturally not want a reset. Doesn't mean I am an immature player because I couldn't view your points.

20. mmo

mmo Well-Known Member

The maturity comment wasn't a shot at anyone, sorry if you interpreted it that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.